Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy stalls... what vacuum lines (sets) are recommended?

Dear All Subaroids,

I have reported a while ago in http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30204 about my problems. The issue was gone in winter (once in a month or even less) but it came back in spring. Let me summarize

• 1995 Legacy L AT
  • after I've changed transmission and diff oils to break the binding I started mentioning occasional halts and dropped RPMs: if RPMs are low (idling) then it would simply halt, if RPMs are high (driving), they would drop for 1-2 sec (so car starts to slow down) and then come back normal
  • some times after stall AT light is blinking to signal the problem. TCU reports codes 22 and 23 -- MAF signal and speed sensor signal
  • some times (very very rarely, just 1 in 20 stalls or so) CEL lights up, ECU states MAF error code
  • my attempts to check wiring didn't lead to any improvement
  • the issue was gone during winter and came back heavily during spring -- it would drop RPMs or stall every 5-6 miles in city driving and about 30-40 on highway
  • Since MAF code is reported first I did cleaning of MAF sensor with electronics contact cleaner, I believe that didn't do any good. Now I am considering replacing it...
  • Yesterday after I've read TCU error codes (the same 22 and 23), and "touched" all vacuum and fuel hoses under the hood, also touched the wiring leading from MAF. also opened/closed air filter compartment --- the problem was gone for this 24 hours although I was driving a lot and usually the problem definetly would have appear at least few times.

This morning when I started the car and let it warm up little bit (1-3 minutes) I mentioned that RPMs were slightly fluctuating -- barely visible on a scale but you could feel it. I started to think may be it would be wise to change vacuum hoses before investing in a new/used MAF.

What hoses would you recommend? are there ready sets for the models anywhere or I should just stop by at any car store and do it one by one buying more hoses if necessary?

Thank you in advance for ideas

Replace the MAF.

I had intermittent stalling issues on the 90 legacy. Happened over a years time....problem was pretty much gone during the winter, but came back during the spring summer. I had a hunch it was the MAF sensor, but it finally confirmed my hunch with a code.

If you can, try to find a used one or borrow someone elses to verify that is the problem. They go for about $300 new.

Replace the MAF.

Thank you Josh, that is probably what I will do -- there are a few nice US members who has them "in stock". I doubt that I will be able to find it locally to "test". I doubt that any store would accept the return if I "try it".

But meanwhile I think it is still worth replacing vacuum hoses since they seems to be quite old. I would appreciate some recommendations/references.

Post in the classified WTB forum that you're looking for a MAF sensor. You should be able to get one used for MUCH less money. Also, as an FYI, the black JECS MAF sensor found on the 90-91 AT, and 92-94 legacies will work with you 95. So that may give you some more options, including looking in the parts shed on www.bbs.legacycentral.org

Post in the classified WTB forum that you're looking for a MAF sensor. You should be able to get one used for MUCH less money. Also, as an FYI, the black JECS MAF sensor found on the 90-91 AT, and 92-94 legacies will work with you 95. So that may give you some more options, including looking in the parts shed on www.bbs.legacycentral.org

Thank you for directions. Actually one US user was already very helpful and generous to have MAF sensor shipped already for 30$ total ;-) But I will keep your BBS in mind for other purchases in future ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Replace the MAF.

I had intermittent stalling issues on the 90 legacy. Happened over a years time....problem was pretty much gone during the winter, but came back during the spring summer. I had a hunch it was the MAF sensor, but it finally confirmed my hunch with a code.

Thank you once again for pushing into the right direction -- problem is gone after replacement of MAF sensor ;-) Car also drives smoother -- before I kicks if I dropped rapid acceleration... now it is much smoother. Cool -- Thank you once again :clap: