Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bedliner as undercoating?

Guest subu luvr

Guest subu luvr

has anyone done the underside with spray on bedliner?

can you get a fairly smooth finish, or is it stipple-y?

is the stuff tough, or will a rock chip turn it into a water trap?

what did you put it on with?

any brand recommendations?

thinking of doing the floor, and lower panels on the hatch

A friend of mine has a rhino dealership and he claims it wont stick well as a undercarriage coating because who would have to sand the whole undercarriage....

Look in google search for POR-15 Or Master Series Rust.

It seems the Por-15 you would have to semi clean the undrside... And the Master Series you could just wire brush it and then paint it on....

I want to attempt it on my 84 wagon but Im gonna have to let the winter have at it until spring and its warm.... Or if I can find a heated garage Ill be set... Joe

I was thinking of spraying my rocker panels with the industrial grade Rhino liner, and doing racing stripes!!:headbang:

The Rhino Liner stuff doesn't chip or fragment easily, otherwise it would be a worthless product, being that it its supposed to take the beating that you dont want your bed to take, plus its quite immpermeable. If you do lets say whack a rock pretty good and nick a chunk out, the nick is not going to spread easily create a water trap, it wont sag like paint.

Methinks its a great idea, especially for the inside of the hatch, itll give the floor that rugged, gruff texture. the sucess of the underside might not be that worth it, as it'll be alot of work to get a nice finish down there, plus you'll get overspray all over the suspension components without a ton of prep work...

did your soob come with undercoating?

I've been thinking the same thoughts as I'm planning what my new Subaru's going to go through, just as soon as I can afford it, and find it.

Keep in mind that, currently anyhow, I'm planning on doing a 2wd auto -> 4wd d/r manual conversion. I'll have pretty much all of the underside of the car apart at that point... I'm even thinking about pulling the engine, depending on its condition, and overhauling it, then painting it. Anyway, while I've got everything apart down there, I figured I'd use apply POR-15 to the underside. PRP-Pro Shop has a frame coater special that I figure I'll pick up, and apply to the bottom. It might be overkill to apply underbody on top of the POR-15 after it cures, but I plan on doing that, too... might help keep the POR-15 intact.

I'm probably going to go over the exhaust system with their high temp stuff... tired of having exhaust pipes rust through.

I need to figure out what I'm doing with the interior of the car, too. I've been tempted with the though of redoing the rear cargo area with bedliner, and finding a set of panels to place on the floor.

When I restored my white, 92 Loyale to (as my friend put it ) "showroom condition" I used the bed liner in a can spray paint and did the rocker pannels to the bottom of the side moulding and followed the shape of the wheel arches to make it look like fender flares... sort of like the early outback style paint job.

I also did the font and sides of the hood to resemble a bra (cloth hood protector) as well as the grill insert to match. I then finished the edges (where black meets white) with 1/8" black pin striping to give it a clean / crisp edge.

I must say it turned out very well and I have recieved a lot of compliments about it, especially the hood... when people touch it and say "I though that was a cloth hood protector... cool!"

:D

T.J.