Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale auto 2wd <64k miles

I found my sedans twin (same colors in/out) sunk in the grass with a for sale sign on it..

My dresser drawer on my roof almost went for a ride as I slammed on the brakes to check it out. I popped the hood and found zero fluids on the engine. the odometer is correct at 63871 miles, with the dreaded auto tranny 2wd.The front bumper is banged in badly, but left fenders alone.. Is this worth 800 obo? After fixing countless little things on my own sedan to the point of really liking it, I can't even price this priceless car.. Who would bargain at what price?

Will the ECU fit?

What on back of engine needs to come off or stay on to bolt up to my manual tranny?

all glass is good and doors edges are even in tact for the exact swap for my car! Name a real price, I will offer it to owner..

if you need a motor it's worth more to you than if you need an interior trim piece. $500 at most, i can't imagine anyone wanting to pay more than that for somethign that's wrecked and doesn't run. ...but i don't know what you need or how hard they are to find for you. low mileage is nice, but how long has it been there and it's a non running and damaged vehicle.

engine will drop right into yours no problem, nothing tricky about it. remove engine, remove flexplate from engine, attach clutch stuff and you're done. at most you'd have to swap the bellhousing (very easy, just a couple bolts).

swap just the blocks if the wiring harness is any different from auto to manual trans to keep things simple. in other words keep your intake manifold in your car and drop it on top of any other EA82 you can find.

hey thanks.

you are right about the body, it has to go. plus, sunk in the grass for steel isn't a bright idea.given that thought 500 seems a still very fair price...maybe 400. I bet the owner is vengeful with that kind of miles sitting on his car (didn't get its moneys worth- ya know what I mean?) the sign on window said third owner.The swap sounds easy enough, mine isn't even normal anyway, but worked (non-oem).:)

Maybe a longshot to yank out the engine where it sits in the field and let a junk yard take the rest away :grin: Thanks for swap info.

I've purchased a couple of parts cars (and that is what this is) for 100.00 recently. One had no visible body damage, but was frame rotted. In my opinion you should offer 100.00 and negotiate up from there. I wouldn't pay more than 250.00 for a car that is currently not running.

Maybe a longshot to yank out the engine where it sits in the field and let a junk yard take the rest away :grin: Thanks for swap info.
that's not too bad. take a large 4x8 sheet of heavy duty 3/4" plywood to slide under the car and wheel an engine lift onto it. out the motor comes. leave the transmission attached, just unbolt the trans cross member bolts and cut the cables/wires somewhere. much easier than trying to separate the engine from the trans and the engine will come out of the engine bay with the trans attached, plenty of room.

or use plywood sheets under jacks to jack the car up high, place large sheet of carpet under the car. unbolt engine and transmission mounting bolts and let the entire assembly fall on the carpet. grab the carpet and slide it out the front.

or take a bob cat out there with some chain to yank it out.

I've purchased a couple of parts cars (and that is what this is) for 100.00 recently. One had no visible body damage, but was frame rotted. In my opinion you should offer 100.00 and negotiate up from there. I wouldn't pay more than 250.00 for a car that is currently not running.

That is no doubt the reality of it. I finally calmed enough to remember what I gave away as junked still inspected (1987 DL 4x4 wagon -Yes I am a moron :-\ ). If I had what he wanted in my pocket, I would have coughed it up. I am glad now I didn't...

grossgary: That seems as though it will work, it is close enough to a road to drag car up and out of its ruts onto the wood to jack it up(maybe car ramps).

I am getting ahead of myself, the owners price is no doubt out for unrealistic revenge on his own wallet ..:-\

the owners price is no doubt out for unrealistic revenge on his own wallet
agreed. i doubt he'll have people knocking down his door. make an offer and when he doesn't bite, stop back in a month and it'll still be there. $800 is through the roof for sure. many of us have gotten parts cars cheap, i've gotten 4 for free. hold out. you have the advantage since you really don't need it.

The waiting game is on. I am sure he won't sell it . I talked to him and he claimed his grandma owned it before him. The plastic dogs glued to the dashboard is verifying it to be likely.:lol:

He also claimed it was driven frequently.. (this where the "fibs" begin). I said, that particular engine cannot sit too long, it will seize, and he replied it wasn't and runs good. The body is bent with no doubts, the exhaust bad also proves that (its one of the first things to break on a bent sube) and also the integrity of sube materials leaves exhaust sytems lasting many many years, especially <64k miles.Maybe time will bring more reality to the owner...:-\

Meanwhile...

my current sube has a bad crank thud, it "ain't" going away anymore...:mad:

Yeah, sitting and sinking into the ground won't do the car any good. My current '93 Loyale wagon (pretty much the same car) was $200.00 with a broken timing belt, parked under an oak tree--so I wouldn't go much past $100.00 if I were you.

I think $800 is way to high...even $500 to me...considering my 92 Loyale FWD 5 Spd...was bought 3 years ago from a dealer for $600 and it was near perfect..much higher miles (162,000 when I got it) but it was running, inspected, smogged....no dents just 2 tiny little rust spots.

IMO parts cars...you should never lose any money on..if you just want the motor...you can find EA82s for $50-$150 for a good runner. Body panels..no problems on this board.. To spend $500 for a parts car...strip a few items you need off of and try and sell the rest sometimes is hard...

And a low mileage engine is great...but there are down falls to them also. Moosens and me are very very aware of these:lol: :grin: . A low mileage engine many times means it has spent most of its life sitting..sitting is bad...dry rot to belts seals etc, small furries make homes in them and chew wires..etc etc.

Just remember this...I got my 82 GLF coupe with 32,000 original miles for a hair over $300. And that car wasnt going to be used as a parts car