Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Legacy O2 Sensor- Can I DIY It?

I have a '93 Legacy L with 138K mi.

I just had the coolant temp sensor replaced ($170 parts & labor) and was told that the O2 sensor is dead as well.

None in stock at the dealership so the part is on order, but in the mean time I'm wondering if this is a possible do-it-myself job. I wouldn't mind saving myself the labor charge...

I do most of the oil/filter/coolant maintenance myself already so I'm hoping this wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I change mine on a '02 Outback, although I would recommend good mechanics type gloves, and an open end wrench, I forget the size. You might have to run the engine to heat up the cats and expand the metal a bit... but it was real easy.

unplug the wiring, unscrew the sensor, the new one should come with some loc-tite(ish) material on it already, screw it in and pluc it back in. and have someone reset the computer codes.

good luck.

I haven't done it on a Subie, but I did change my friend's Jeep O2 sensor. It's cake there, the only thing you need that's fancy is an O2 sensor removal tool, which is basically a 5/8 (I think :confused: ) socket with a third of it cut out, allowing the pigtail to stay straight and not get crimped. The rest is a simple unbolt-and-unplug, bolt-in-and-plug-in procedure...

its real easy on the 2.2's ... Unplug the sensor from the top then lay under the car with i think 21mm or 15/16 or 7/8 wrench and it is almost center of the y pipe. I recomend squirting some WD 40 about 5 min before and it will come out easy. ( oh yeah when you unplug it reach down at bottom of tranny by the axle and bend the metal piece out that holds the O2 wire away from the axle)

Its an easy do it yourself job