Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seattle area - where to go for service??

My 2001 Outback Ltd., 62K is having auto transmission problems. (Of course I've passed the 60K warrenty :mad: ). The AT oil temp light comes on and flashes, and now at times it shifts into gear rather roughly .. clunk .. And not sure if it's related, but twice while on I-5 it revved up on it's own. Also the check engine light has come on but I actually suspect that's a glitch with the gas cap. Anyway -- I'm really torn about where to take it. Have tried one dealer in the South end and was not pleased with them. Not sure if I should take it to my neighborhood mechanic since it's transmission trouble.

Welcoming your reccommendations. Will travel north from Federal Way, within reason. Thanks much for your help :wave:

Bianca

I took mine to Walker's in Renton. Can't say I was too impressed with them. They didn't seem to know much more than I did after doing some reading here: http://www.endwrench.com/pages/home.html

My AT TEMP OIL light was flashing a code. They siad it could be this it could be that it could cost $1400! The car still runs and shifts great so I can't see how anything that's not even noticeable, cost $1400! The light still flashes, the car still drives great, so be it. If you find a good Subie Service in the Seattle area let me know. SUBIEGAL says her old man works at Auburn Subaru but that's a little far out of town for me. She recommended Carter but I've heard from a couple of people their service is so so, depending on what the problem is. Good luck.

Amen! Superior Repair did a good job on my shocks when I tried them out. I thought they were kinda hard to find. It was a "hole in the wall" place but the price was good.

Though with the over-all picture of service places, Smart Service is still my fav. The guys are nice there, they do good work, they are very respectful (they are one of the few that I've noticed not giving me the "oh look, a woman" thing) and it is easy to find -near stores and a theatre.. and the best part (ick) there is a McDonalds right next door!:clap:

Originally posted by duane b

I took mine to Walker's in Renton. Can't say I was too impressed with them.

That's where I had taken my car previously. And that's exactly what they told me too!

Smart Service sounds like the place to go, but really hard for me to get there from Federal Way during the hours they are open. I saw Superior in the phone book and wondered about them. I think I will try them ... they're in Burien - much closer. There was also a 'Subaru only' shop in Auburn. Can't recall the name. If anyone knows anything about them, please let me know.

Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Bianca

Not aware of a Subaru only shop in Auburn. Auburn foreign car works on all foreign cars and they do good work but their specialty is Volkswagon. I have had dealings with Smart Service. I know the guys at Superior. I also know the guys at Brians Subaru repair in Burien. Brians is closest to you and easy to find. They are right across the street from Glen Grant Chev in Burien. All three are in the phone book. I do recommend Brians to everyone. They are great with the EA series cars. Smart has a good reputation for the EJ's. I know most of the guys at Auburn Subaru and of course, Gary. They do pretty good work from what I have heard. I don't have personal experience with them but they're right down the hill from you.

And if you feel like taking a day trip to the bugeoning insane-growth metropolis of Bellingham, you could have Harmony Motors take a peek at your car. They love subes, and are very cool. (and do nice work, AND will tell you if something isn't worth fixing... they disconnected my AC for me free of charge because it was messing with my idle and I didn't feel like paying for the new stuff)