Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Brighton wagon Knock Sensor

Hi,

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon.

Check engine light has appeared intermittently since I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago. Last May (2005), I had the Idle Air valve and front Oxygen Sensor replaced. This took care of the CEL for a while. Now, with inspection time coming up, the CEL is back on. The local parts store let me check the diagnostics and it returned code P0325 Knock Sensor 1 malfunction. The CEL did not turn on when I started the car to go to the parts store, and has not come back on since.

After all that, my question is, how easy is it to replace the knock sensor on a 1999 Legacy Wagon? I recall hearing that the engine might need to be ?drained? first? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any advice as to the exact location of the knock sensor would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Nick

Hi,

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon.

Check engine light has appeared intermittently since I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago. Last May (2005), I had the Idle Air valve and front Oxygen Sensor replaced. This took care of the CEL for a while. Now, with inspection time coming up, the CEL is back on. The local parts store let me check the diagnostics and it returned code P0325 Knock Sensor 1 malfunction. The CEL did not turn on when I started the car to go to the parts store, and has not come back on since.

After all that, my question is, how easy is it to replace the knock sensor on a 1999 Legacy Wagon? I recall hearing that the engine might need to be ?drained? first? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any advice as to the exact location of the knock sensor would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Nick

its a bolt on part. Do a search, lots of info on the knock sesnor here.

Its intermittenet cause its going bad, not completly bad yet. Knock sensor code is one of the few codes that is truly just the knock sensor.

nipper

its a bolt on part. Do a search, lots of info on the knock sesnor here.

Its intermittenet cause its going bad, not completly bad yet. Knock sensor code is one of the few codes that is truly just the knock sensor.

nipper

Thanks, nipper.

I have been perusing the board and have found the many, many knock sensor discussions. Lots of great information.

Any idea if I will need to manually reset the diagnostics to get the light to turn off after replacing the KS, or will it reset automatically?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nick

Thanks, nipper.

I have been perusing the board and have found the many, many knock sensor discussions. Lots of great information.

Any idea if I will need to manually reset the diagnostics to get the light to turn off after replacing the KS, or will it reset automatically?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nick

i think it will go away on its own, but you may want to disconnect the postive battery cable for 30 seconds to clear the codes.

nipper

I had the clear the code with the scan tool to get mine to go off. I tried disconnecting the battery, but must have not waited long enough.

I read somewhere that the code clear after 40 starts without a return. I can't find that now of course.

Rob

I had the clear the code with the scan tool to get mine to go off. I tried disconnecting the battery, but must have not waited long enough.

I read somewhere that the code clear after 40 starts without a return. I can't find that now of course.

Rob

30 seconds to clear the codes, over night for a hard reset of the computers. Usually most leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes

nipper