Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1999 Legacy Brighton wagon Knock Sensor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick001

Nick001

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon.

Check engine light has appeared intermittently since I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago. Last May (2005), I had the Idle Air valve and front Oxygen Sensor replaced. This took care of the CEL for a while. Now, with inspection time coming up, the CEL is back on. The local parts store let me check the diagnostics and it returned code P0325 Knock Sensor 1 malfunction. The CEL did not turn on when I started the car to go to the parts store, and has not come back on since.

After all that, my question is, how easy is it to replace the knock sensor on a 1999 Legacy Wagon? I recall hearing that the engine might need to be ?drained? first? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any advice as to the exact location of the knock sensor would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Nick

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

Hi,

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon.

Check engine light has appeared intermittently since I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago. Last May (2005), I had the Idle Air valve and front Oxygen Sensor replaced. This took care of the CEL for a while. Now, with inspection time coming up, the CEL is back on. The local parts store let me check the diagnostics and it returned code P0325 Knock Sensor 1 malfunction. The CEL did not turn on when I started the car to go to the parts store, and has not come back on since.

After all that, my question is, how easy is it to replace the knock sensor on a 1999 Legacy Wagon? I recall hearing that the engine might need to be ?drained? first? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any advice as to the exact location of the knock sensor would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Nick

its a bolt on part. Do a search, lots of info on the knock sesnor here.
Its intermittenet cause its going bad, not completly bad yet. Knock sensor code is one of the few codes that is truly just the knock sensor.

nipper

#3 Nick001

Nick001

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

its a bolt on part. Do a search, lots of info on the knock sesnor here.
Its intermittenet cause its going bad, not completly bad yet. Knock sensor code is one of the few codes that is truly just the knock sensor.

nipper

Thanks, nipper.

I have been perusing the board and have found the many, many knock sensor discussions. Lots of great information.

Any idea if I will need to manually reset the diagnostics to get the light to turn off after replacing the KS, or will it reset automatically?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nick

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, nipper.

I have been perusing the board and have found the many, many knock sensor discussions. Lots of great information.

Any idea if I will need to manually reset the diagnostics to get the light to turn off after replacing the KS, or will it reset automatically?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nick

i think it will go away on its own, but you may want to disconnect the postive battery cable for 30 seconds to clear the codes.

nipper

#5 rlsimpso

rlsimpso

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ferndale

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

I had the clear the code with the scan tool to get mine to go off. I tried disconnecting the battery, but must have not waited long enough.

I read somewhere that the code clear after 40 starts without a return. I can't find that now of course.

Rob

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

I had the clear the code with the scan tool to get mine to go off. I tried disconnecting the battery, but must have not waited long enough.

I read somewhere that the code clear after 40 starts without a return. I can't find that now of course.

Rob

30 seconds to clear the codes, over night for a hard reset of the computers. Usually most leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes

nipper

#7 Nick001

Nick001

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:18 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users