Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Repairing rear subframe/support on Hatchback

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matrixops

matrixops

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Overland Park, KS

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

After purchasing my 87 ea81 Hatchback, I began investigating more closely the damage associated with a mild left rear impact suffered by the vehicle some time in the past. While removing the bent bumber, I noticed that the square tube/support where the bumper mounts was pushed back and up a bit causing a small bend in square tube. I, also, noticed that the area around the rear subframe support mount is rusted pretty heavily and could use replacement.

Given this repair work, I am considering replacing the entire driver's side rear support tubing since it runs from about 8-10" in front of the rear subframe mount all they way to the back of the car where the bumber mount is. I am curious if anyone has done this type of repair and could suggest some materials to use in it. I have some pretty good ideas and can weld so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once I get this started I will post pictures of the work.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
matrixops.

#2 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Chain it to a telephone pole and try to stretch it back out. Might or might not work. I tried to do that on my wagon cuz the front tow hook thingie got pushed up from bottoming out, but I barely budged it. Pretty solid mount IMO. A hammer could help massage it a bit. Or you could shell out some cheese and get a 10 ton Porta Power. It's a hydraulic ram set with several different accessories for auto body/frame repair. If it's too rusted out, you could cut it out and weld a new one in from a donor car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users