Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Rail Replacement

I need to replace the fuel rails in the lifted Brat and was wondering how much of a chore it is. I spent 4 hours yesterday on the side of the road trying to fix a fuel issue I had. The Brat would run fine, but would seem to run out of fuel in certain places. Fuel is getting to the pump fine. the pump works. there is no fuel getting to the filter before the carb. I took the line off the filter and tried again to see if the filter was clogged. Nothing. So somewhere between the pump and the carb is a clog. Which is way weird cause I had all the lines blown out with compressed air yesterday and it still had a problem. I may end up grabbing a length of braided steel hose and just bypassing the whole hard line. Any thoughts?

Yeah it seems like a strange problem to me. We were at witts end yesterday after trying everything to get fuel up to the carb. I finally banged on the fuel rails in the cab. That knocked something loose and fuel pressure was restored. There must be corrosion or something in the rail that is collecting foreign objects and clogging it up. Sounds like the brat needs some bypass surgery!

I'd double check the filter sock in the tank, and the power to the pump before I started tearing the interior apart to replace lines. There might be something floating around in the tank that plugs the inlet after it draws fuel for a while, but doesn't pose a problem when doing a quick test.

Does there seem to be anything that triggers the fuel to stop, like going over a bump a certain way, taking a hard corner, low engine speed, high engine speed, etc?

You might also want to wire a small test light into the fuel pump circuit as close to the pump as possible, and take the truck for a drive. If the light shuts off. you know the power is actually being interrupted shutting the pump off, rather than a mechanical issue.

Shouldnt be too hard to replace the fuel lines on a brat. Jibs already has the interior torn out, so all the lines should be exposed. I would just run new line, rubber or braided (although, i checked and braided line isnt cheap!). Follow the old line, and zip tie the new line to the old, keeping the same path. If after you do that, and the problem still exists then start troubleshooting.

You got that pump off my wagon up there right? Keep it as a spare, i know for a fact that is (or was) a good pump.

-Brian

yep had the same problem with my brat but instead of replacing the line i used an A/C flush kit and replaced the flushing fluid for ac systems with carb cleaner.. Works much better then just compressed air because it takes all the particles out of the line unlike compressed air which will just knock them all loose to create future problems

I got a replacement fuel line today to just bypass the whole thing. I'll follow how it is for now and maybe flush the line as well, I just don't like the idea of it dying on me in traffic in the meantime. We'll see how it goes.