Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Magnecor ignition wires

idosubaru

excellent company, excellent product, honest company, excellent experience with many sets over the years. they indeed last forever and are inexpensive. i've put over 150,000 miles on a set. my buddy was replacing his OEM jeep wires every 30,000 miles...we put a magnecor set on it and he's now around 100,000 on that set.

very good to deal with. i injurred one of mine and they fixed it or sent me a new one, i can't recall but it was painless and no charge.

the EJ series wires are excellent as well and won't have the issues like other aftermarket sets have. if you know the EJ series they are really an OEM Subaru only item, but the magnecors are the only other option i'm comfortable with on those engines.

be careful replacing them though, i put them on my best friends car and a subsequent moron replaced them with some cheap-o off the shelf crap. you can order through them direct or their website but you can typically get better deals through distributors. a little searching on the internet should do you right.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an 8mm set several years ago on my Legacy, but like the n00b I was back then, I didn't install the #4 one correctly. The contact on the coilpack end hit the lip of the coilpack contact point, and slid back into the boot. So for around 6 months, that wire was arcing from the coilpack. It messed up my coilpack pretty bad, but it didn't affect the wire's contact.

I ended up selling the wires.

So be forewarned, they're a little more tricky to install than other wires. Like Hodaka said, others have had problems too. But if you pay attention to what you're doing, you should be fine.

I may do another set in the future, but they are something like $60-70 a set, so I may just wait until I need a tune-up really badly and I can justify spending that much money on them.

• 3 months later...
I had an 8mm set several years ago on my Legacy.
don't know when you got yours or when they updated their wires, but they made changes at some point to simplify and decrease the number of issues with EJ series engines. any set of wires can easily cause issue on the EJ series engine, they are not forgiving at all, which is why there are so many "cylinder # blank misfire codes" posted in the new generation forum. that's also why there is only one size available for the EJ series, but all the sizes are availabe for the older generation stuff. OEM Subaru is the way to go on EJ stuff, although i like magnecor and install them on EJ stuff as well.

lots of online places carry them, search around for the best deals. there are others, but i bought my last set from:

http://www.ultrarev.com/home.php?cat=0

i believe they have 24 hour ordering and customer service.

for the same magnecor wires:

XT6 8mm wires - ultrarev = $45. magnecor direct = $77.

8.5mm wires - ultrarev = $78. magnecor = $130.

EJ22 wires - ultrarev was $16 cheaper.