Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most common late model problems?

Is there a list of the most common late model Subaru common problems/issues/parts failures (other than things on the regular maintenance schedule)?

I'm specifically interested in '96 Legacy and '00 Legacy Outback as I'm doing the 105k service on them and wouldn't mind knowing things to maybe look at while I've got the vehicles ripped apart.

Thanks, Louis ;-)

Thanks Legacy777, I'll check around the forums, I guess the TSB's would be a good place to look too. :-)

Good point, Setright! I guess I'm so used to owning older Ford's and having about a $100-$200 repair bill per month (i.e. gas tanks, brake lines, exhaust, gas lines, oh, and I forgot transmissions, ignition switches, and starters), whereas my 10 year old Legacy has had only two jobs to be done, the front oxygen sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor and those were easy to do myself and neither left me stranded!

I guess I'm trying to figure out that of the relatively few problems Subaru's have, which of those are most likely to occur, especially anything that would leave you stranded, 'cause I would just rather replace it upfront. What about starters? fuel pumps? any of these concerns on 100k mile 96 Legacy and 00 Outback? Thanks so much you guys!!!! :-) :) Oh, and Subaru's rock!

the 96 Legacy will be a 2.2L engine, these things are as close to bulletproof as you will find anywhere. On this car, I would replace all the seals, as they will not last annother 100K miles. That is the cam seals (front and rear on both sides), valve cover gasket, at least the front crank seal and O-ring for the oil pump. If you plan on pulling the engine anyway, add the rear main seal to that list. This will reduce the chances of the gaskets/seals failing due to age, causing leakage all over your very nice engine.

on the 00 Outback, you have the SOHC 2.5L engine that has a history of head gasket problems (coolant jacket to outside world). Subaru provides a "conditioner" to correct this problem. I, personally, have problems with a manufacturer using stop leak as a corrective measure for coolant leakage problems. I have also heard that there are as many problems caused by the "conditioner" solidifying in small coolant passages (radiator, heater core, small passages in the engine) causing much greater damage than the original leak. I believe that Subaru also redesigned the head gasket a few years later, and that redesigned gasket may be a better solution than the "conditioner". I would laso replace the seals for this engine, to prevent leaks. Also, on this later model car (post 96), it is much more important to follow the service interval on the timing belt. If it breaks, the repairs are very expensive. . .

Those are the biggest "gotchas" on the cars you mentioned. Overall, they are really great cars, and should give you many more very happy miles.

Thanks a bunch for the info Commuter and Gnuman. Interesting info on the coolant conditioner. Maybe I'll just leave it out and watch for the external head gasket leaks. I will plan to do everything else you mentioned, except the RMS's, as I wasn't planning on pulling the engine(s). Actually I don't (yet) have a hoist and stuff to do that.