Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric fans

doing some unexpected tinkering i noticed my plastic clutch fan is essentially siezed up and also there are lots of cracks in the blades

and since i have this turbo saab sitting here with no use for it and it has electric fans i figure i might as well use one of those

and save myself some horsepower to boot

now the question is and i have my own idea's

whats the best way to hook up the fan besides using a relay of course

but should i make it so its on when the car is running or harness it into the temp sensor for the aux electric fan thats already there ?

I don't know where the idea that electric fans save hp came from. If your engine is running, and you turn on an electric fan, the rpm drops. The power from the fan comes from the alternator, and the more draw on the alt, the harder the alt becomes to turn. It probably draws more power, because you are losing energy because of the inefficiency of the alt, wires, and electric motor.

Belt driven fan is always turning, eating HP.

Electric fan only turns when it's switched on. When it ain't turning, it's not eating HP.

Hence the freeing up, saving, of HP statement.

When you are moving the vehicle at roughly 10 MPH, there is enough air movement over the radiator to cool it. So a belt driven fan is pointless above this speed, and it is eating a couple of ponies, our Sube's don't have that many ponies to be wasted.

now that you mention the above 10 mph thing

i know where to get some airspeed type switches that can be adjusted so x amount of airflow turn stuff on or off ...

wire it inline with the primary electric fan and when idleing or slow traffic crawling it will come on and once your movig it will turn off

with some sort of temp override

hmm cool

excuse the pun

i suspect the fact that my sock engine driver fan what with the hydro thingy pretty much siezed is contributing to the loss of my mileage i am recently experienceing ..

that and the fact i can not find evidence of a rebuild on the motor with 209k ...

if all goes well on my upcoming 13 days vacation i will be doing a rebuild

and prolly some minor balancing, porting ect

the fan i hope to do this friday and possibly my oil pump and cam seals

getting a random lifter tick thats appearing more and more