Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake shoe weekend on my 82 GL

So now that I did my front brakes last week I will be doing my shoes this weekend. Can you believe they charged me a core charge on shoes! The guy said these older cars they recycle the metal! I hope they used good glue on the ones I purchased.

Ok so all I purchased was shoes. They have some brake shoe hardware kit as well I didn't buy. I never did shoes so my biggest guess would be springs and whatelse? So if my parts are still holding my old shoes intact can I get away of not changing all the springs,etc? Or are there some parts that have to be replaced each time?

Darn need a socket for the hub! Autozone wanted 16 bucks for a 36mm socket! Believe that!?

Thanks

Been a while since I had the rears apart on an EA-81, so I can't get a good mental pic going of what's all in there.

Anyways, I would change the hardware myself, 'specially seeing as you say they have the stuff in stock. The springs, and hold-downs get worn with age/time and get weak. Not saying you have to, just if you do, it's a piece-of-mind thing.

Same with drums and rotors. If they need turned, I just get new ones, as the price is close between turning and new. (atleast around here it is)

Got to do the rears on my '86 BRAT myself this weekend, or atleast I'm hoping to. Don't like the sound I'm hearing from them on occassion.

drum brakes can be a REAL headache.. but number one rule... DO ONE WHEEL ALL THE WAY BEFORE YOU DISASSEMBLE THE OTHER WHEEL. sorry, any time ive seen that rule ignored, the person who ignored it hated himself for it. that lets you use the other wheel as a guide on how it goes back together. Just in case.

the hardware and stuff should all be fine. sux on needing the socket. try other stores, ive found em dirt cheap before, but ive paid for them too....

if you havent found the HTKYSA yet, find it for any moral support.. but you are probably fine. they CAN be a pain.. but not a major one, and its never hard to get thru it.

I am the same way I was just trying to get the job in before my money got here. I havn't cracked them open yet either. Also DO you know if I have to open the drum to bled them or is the fitting outside on the rear? FOrgive me I never done drums before.

Going off topic hows your mayor? :grin:

The adjuster is on the backside of the backing plate. It's a bolt and locknut. Loosen nut and turn bolt to adjust. Bolt moves a wedge between brake shoes.

Our 18 year old Mayor seems to be holding his own against the Elders of the Politcal Brother/Sisterhood. I haven't really kept up with all of the ins-n-outs of his reign, but he's doing the job....

edit;

You asked aout bleeders, and I wrote about adjusters. That's what I get for trying to think before I finish the 1st cup of coffee. :rolleyes:

The bleeders are on the back of the backing plate, right near where the brake line attaches to the wheel cylinder. Hopefully, they break loose for you and not twist off. That's always been my luck with them anyways...