Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale weird dash noise; A/C problem

Two questions about my 91 Loyale:

Lately when on the highway I get a weird whining sound from the dash. Sounds like a huge mosquito. Comes on consistently at about 60 MPH and gets louder the faster I go. Not an RPM issue--in either 4th or 5th, it starts at 60 MPH. I'm thinking either speedo cable or the speedo itself. Any comments?

A/C comes on nice and cold, then craps out in a minute or two. Mechanic thinks it's a bad switch on the dash. I know these Loyale dashes are a pain to deal with. Any way I can make a toggle switch work without disassembling the dash?? I'm thinking, push the stock AC button on the dash, then flip the toggle switch.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, your idea on the speedo cable sounds correct as is your thought on getting to it to correct it.

If you pul the ECU down you can reach the head fitting

As for your AC problem, if the dash ventilation system is switching properly the switch probably isn't the problem but here is how it works

When the AC button (or defrost) is pushed, a lever in the vetilation system moves and closes a microswitch.

If you would like to operate this switch manualy (I do it allows AC in any position and no AC when I don't want it -like in defrost)

Look above the gas pedal and toward the center of the car. You should see a black sheathed set of two blue wires. They go into a small box. Inside this box is the microswitch I mentioned.

Follow the sheathed wires toward the rear. At the console they meet a connector to the main harness.

Unplug the connector and plug the wires from your toggle switch into the body harness side of the connector- simple as that.

I mounted a small lighted blue rocker switch in the blank beside the fan control knob.

blowrsw.JPG

Hope this helps

Thanx Skip, especially for the A/C question! Otherwise I was going to dump the car and get something with good A/C. Need it here in Virginia in the summer (yeah I know I'm a wimp).

The 10-pound mosquito died on the way to work today. Hopefully he won't reincarnate undeer my dash again. Not sure why the noise stopped...everything works tho.

Tom

• 8 months later...

I have the exact same a/c problem. still have yet to try your fix (im sure it works) but its definitely an electrical problem. also, i have a 5mt that idles at around 400-500 rpm. is that normal? because its so low the car shakes real bad and if i try to go with the a/c on the engine will cut out in the middle of an intersection. at 150 degrees inside the car, the a/c is a necessity. any suggestions, or do i just have to turn it off when i stop and back on when i start going?

Found out what the a/c problem is... freon. the mech i took it to to recharge my freon decided to 1. let the remaining freon from the system (r12) out into the open air 2. instead of converting the system pumped some more r12 into the car and 3. filled it by sticking the bottle of freon on the valve and let it flow. no pressure gauges, no capturing the released freon, just the most pathetic job ive seen. im taking it back and making him fill it up to the pressure that its supposed to be at.

if you decided to go with the manual switch, be aware that if you keep it on you risk blowing up your compressor, which run (from what ive seen) at about $500-750. you may have a different problem than me, but if we both have the same symptoms then it probably isnt. its actually quite a common mistake, and can be easily solved. voila!