Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 35 - Purge Control Solenoid??

UPDATE:

Searched and read all the posts on the PCS valve. Looks like it is a pretty common problem. I saw some differing opinions on whether/when to preplace it. Is this a problem that will leave your stranded? Input appreciated....

Original:

Hi all! Finally got around to connecting those test ends by the ECU and finding why my CEL is on constantly. Got one code, 35, Purge Control Solenoid Valve. According to Haynes manual, it is either staying ON or OFF during operation. My problem is, I read through the emissions chapter, but didn't notice anything about this solenoid. Any clues, troubleshooting steps, easy fixes (:rolleyes: please be easy)?? I have disconnected the battery for 2 days after reading that this may clear stored codes. I have not followed the more in depth procedure listed on Legacy777's web site.

History:

Just picked up the 92 Legacy AWD, MT wagon. CEL was on and has stayed on since I bought it. The engine runs fine (as far as I can tell, not an expert by any means), and it even passed WI state emissions. The car has 178K miles, and the previos owner had just had some work completed (air filter, plugs, timing belts, accessory belts). The only work I've completed is 2 new front drive shafts and vaccuming it out!

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Drew

Have you carefully inspected all the vacuum hoses from the engine to the fuel tank for cracks or loose or missing clamps, or looked at the gas cap seal? The entire fuel system should be sealed from the atmosphere. As I recall, any sort of vacuum leak can set a code.

It won't leave you stranded..may cause pinging, or crappy idle though. the solenoids just go bad after a while and should be replaced.. they get stuck closed or open. its a electrical failure, not a mechanichal one. Regarding the gas cap/tank thing, that only causes codes on newer OBDII systems, which your car doesn't have.

I wouldn't get a used one as it might do the same thing. Apparently it was a substandard part from the factory...

I drove my car with that stupid code (and CEL) for over a year without any problems, so it's no emergency... The part new costs about $80 from the dealer, and replacing it is not exactly a walk in the park...

Drew,

Try looking in the Troubleshooting guide in the front of your Haynes manual for information on the EVAP system. I'm struggling to find a problem with the system on my '97 OBS. I swapped the PCS with three different cars and it still throws a code so I'm reasonably sure it's somewhere else in the system.

Good luck!

Keith

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Check the hoses that go to the canister. One of mine came off when I went over and then backed up over a curb which pushed the dirt flap against the hoses and pushed one off.

In the 98 OB the canister is behind the right rear tire.

Good luck!