Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb problem, she don't wanna run...

I've got a '79 4WD station wagon with an EA71 1600 growling under the hood. We're on carb #4 I believe. It'll run great for a few days then it'll start chugging and backfiring out the carb really badly until it won't run especially after a good 5 mile drive at freeway speeds. This same problem has happened in varying degrees of badness with 3 other carbs. We've re-torqued the manifold bolts down, checked vacuum lines over and over, cleaned and re-cleaned, swapped jets, and have more than taxed todd's patience asking what in hells half acre could be the problem. I'm starting to get really frustrated. Anyone had the same problem and FIXED it. Anyone know what's wrong...PLEASE HELP !!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

4th. carb being bad.???...maybe all the carbs are poor to start with....generally speaking;.. back firing thru the carb is an indication of wrong timing (to retarded) or the air/fuel mixture is running to lean, or a combination of both....I tend to like staying with original carbs (rebuilt if neccessary) with org. jetting and timing to match your motor....your distributor can cause back-firing and sputtering if its got to much play in the vertical and horizontal axsis of the shaft

4 bad carbs? It's kind of like 4 bad modems, time to check the phone lines. I had a cycle do that to me once because a piece of tape fell into the gas tank. It would work it's way to the outlet, and no go. I would change the filters, test the pump output, all after removing and draining the tank. the pump could be pulling the rubber line closed due to restriction also, ans as Ken said, could be bad gas. The odds of 4 carbs being bad are pretty good with Hitatchi's, but unlikely to all 4 give the same indications. Did you do any tank, pump or line work?