Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rough Steering

Subaru_Mechanic

when im out on the trails, the wheel will sometimes jerk out of my hands. my thumb is messed up now cause u was drivin over a mound and there was holes on the top and they make the wheels turn and rip a ligament in my thumb. man... is there somthin i can do about this? ive seen the shocks on trucks and was wondering if i would be able to mount up shocks with out welding. i wish i had power steering.

thanx guys:burnout:

huh... oh my fingers were outta the wheel. the front end ju,ped up and when it hit back down i ended up with a almost broken thumb:confused: ...

anyone else have a idea on how to make my steering "easier" ?

I've never heard of anyone using a steering dampner on a subaru. but I suppose it could be done...

I do know this, however. rule #1 when offroading....thumbs out of the steering wheel!

get an ea81 power steering rack and put it in... they are slightly wider so you'll have to be a little bit inventive...

perhaps just ovaling out the holes for the crossmember would be enough? welding on extra support to where you're ovaling would be a pretty good idea though...

while your at it, put an ea81 engine and d/r trans in there...

power steering will solve all your problems...:)

money is an obsticle. once i pull the engine im workin on alot. and gettin a EA81 is gonna hurt the wallet :-\

get an ea81 power steering rack and put it in... they are slightly wider so you'll have to be a little bit inventive...

perhaps just ovaling out the holes for the crossmember would be enough? welding on extra support to where you're ovaling would be a pretty good idea though...

while your at it, put an ea81 engine and d/r trans in there...

power steering will solve all your problems...:)

money is an obsticle. once i pull the engine im workin on alot. and gettin a EA81 is gonna hurt the wallet :-\

if you get an ea81 parts car you're set... and from what you've said you have all the fab equipment you need... if you're really that broke, perhaps a better solution is to go to the gym and work on your arms...:rolleyes:

i used to drive my brat up in the mountains on some pretty sketchy roads... (or no road at all) and i sometimes had a problem keeping the wheel straight but i never had a problem with the wheel going madly out of control and me jabbing my fingers on stuff...

if the wheel's getting jerked out of your hands, then the car is moving too fast - whether you're creeping over obstacles or rallying a poorly maintained road. power steering will give you more leverage over the wheels but it won't let you go faster-without-breaking-stuff.

i know... im gonna see what i can do about dampeners.:confused:

if the wheel's getting jerked out of your hands, then the car is moving too fast - whether you're creeping over obstacles or rallying a poorly maintained road. power steering will give you more leverage over the wheels but it won't let you go faster-without-breaking-stuff.