Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat: 4-speed to>> 5-speed

The syncros are failing in 3rd gear. It's a 4 speed with: 2WD/4 high/4 low.

I hear there are a lot of newer Subaru vehicles whose 5 speeds will fit into my brat...but to avoid turbos because they have a different final gear ratio. I hear the 5 speed has more or less the same gearing, but with 5 gears pushed into roughly the same general ratios as a 4 speed's.

I am told it is better to lengthen the drive shaft....rather than modify for a split shaft.

I hear there is a detailed discussion somewhere of this entire conversion. Any comments or suggestions? I'd like to know what models in which years would have what i need.

Thank You.

The EA82 d/r 5speed can be made to fit, but is not a direct fit aside from bolting to the bellhousing. You need:

Transmission

Driveshaft

Flywheel

Clutch

Linkage

Crossmember

You will have to have the driveshaft made, the 5speed is something like 2" shorter, the linkage will have to be modified, as will the crossmember, the engine's half of the bell housing, and the clutch cable re-routed.

Plus, you will have to either hammer/cut out part of the floor, or drop your subframe ~1".

We actually briefly covered this in this thread:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67990

Ignore the automatic conversion stuff.

From what I gathered though, use an EA82 Driveshaft, or have the EA81 one piece lengthened.

bratsrus1 has a nice kit that has a modified crossmember that will allow the 5spd d/r to physically fit without bashing the trans tunnel. Also has stuff so you can keep your stock linkages. Makes things look stock inside.

Everything else should be good.

Lots of info - the search will yeild most of it. It's spread over many threads so just search for "5 speed swap EA81".

First, you should seriously consider getting a kit from Bratsrus1 (Jerry). Makes the whole procedure easier as the cross-member and linkage will be taken care of. The 5 speed doesn't fit the tunnel unless you either beat the tunnel or customize the cross-member to lower the tranny a smidge. His product is very well made, and well-designed. And your interior will look entirely stock.

As for the driveshaft - personally I like the 2 peice as it's higher up. Have the u-joints made serviceable and make a carrier mount, or have a longer single peice made up - about the same price either way so take your pick. Most of the folks that advocate the single peice have never tried the two-peice - rather they leave it to a driveline shop to solve all their problems. The carrier mount isn't difficult, and doesn't have to be anything special or particularly strong. Here's one ear of mine (other side is the same). Took me all of 2 hours to fab up. If the Nancy's that whine about it would just get under the car and DO something with those 10 lovely digits they were born with there wouldn't be such an argument about it.......

brat_carrier_mount.jpg

GD