Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have seen the light!

Well, got my headlight conversion the other day, (cheapest I could find, thru JC Whitney $38 plus shipping), and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs ($35 a pair. ouch!). Finaly had a chance to try them out tonight.

WOW! What a difference! One of the best mods I have done yet.

For those of you with Gen1 soobs (and their anemic lights), I highly reccomend this conversion.

Soooo much better than the old lights. Bright, clear, white light. And the best part? The new bulbs (9003's / H4's) are a dual filiment bulb. So the lows are nice and bright, and they become Highs also. So I have 4 high beams. (including the still stock inner headlights.)

Next step is to wire the inner headlights to accept a low beam application, and install another set, so I will have 4 lows, and 4 highs. Woo Hoo!

No doubt about, right now Silverstars are the absolute top dog bulbs - if we stay legal!

Philips "BlueVision" aren't bad either, but the price difference is tiny, so if you can get 'em, Silverstars are the business.

I have added a couple of Hella FF75's to my Legacy, and I must admit that 4 times 60W Silverstar really does cook animals in your path :D

I just got 55w/60w bulbs. nothing radical like 80w/100w's

They don't seem to draw any more power than the stock lamps did, just give way more light.

Talk about cooking critters though, you should see the searchlight that results from running all 10 lights at once! (I illuminate road signs over 1/2 mile away!)

2 Silverstar headlights, 2 stock High beams, 4 55w driving lights, & 2 100w spotlights.

Oh yeah! I've got the 9004 silverstars in mine and your right, they DO make a diffrance. :headbang: With the silverstars and my driving lights I can see signs about 1/4 mile away. Great for buzzin down the hiway at night! :brow:

Do you know if they make them for the h3 single filiment bulbs:cornfuzz: I would like to replace the bulbs in the driving lights with them.:burnout:

These lights, are they the ones that appear really bright and are bluish in color? in contrast to the warm yellow-orange glow of a regular light? And also a note on converting the inside high beams into low/high beams, a cop might pull you over mestaking you for having your highbeams on because all 4's would be lit... and almost always only 2 are lit unless high beams are on.:banana:

To be honest, Silverstars can be a bit harsh to drive behind. Here in Denmark our roadsigns have a very effective reflective coating, and meeting a "group" of signs on full beam can be almost blinding!

That same coating means that I can easily see motorway signs nearly a mile away!

I am considering switching back to "Gold" bulbs, which I think have changed name to "All Weather". They have a slight yellow tinge, and actually catch the signs even better, but don't over expose your retinas! Of course, animals and people without reflective clothes are harder to see. That is really where the Silverstart excels: Unlit back roads, where animals like to wander on the asphalt. They really do offer sharp contrast.

Ok, so their not the HID lights then or are they? To me they always resembled almost the same color a Mercury Vapor HID light gives off. But at anyrate, these are thoes headlights I see out there that are really bright and Arn't brownish tinted type color that a haligen puts off right? Thinking about getting a kit for my chrysler if I can. And yes they can get anoying if someone comes over a hill at ya, or if they're in your rear view mirror. I think somepeople have them misaimed out there cause I get blinded off and on by them. Some are ok and others are aimed to high! lol:D

No, they are not HID, but they are a very intense white.

I had a 66 Chrysler Newport w/ a 383. great car! You should have no problem doing the conversion on it. The bulbs go into a hollow headligt unit, and that is a direct swap for the stock lights.

The whole conversion took me about 3 minutes.

And living in deepest darkest Iowa, where the deer and the skunk play (on the roads) The Silverstars were just what I needed.