Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) Location

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCNY

SparkyCNY

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

Where is the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) on a 2003 Outback Wagon, 4-cyl? Does anyone have a diagram or picture? I want to inspect/clean the MAF. I mouse had gotten into my air filter and chewed a few small holes. (Life in the country) I want to be sure everything is clean.

I've pulled everything off the throttle body with an electrical connection and don't recognize it. So either I don't know what I'm looking for or I haven't found it yet.

I'm puzzled.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,017 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

I don't think that year has a MAF. I believe it has a MAP (manifold absolute pressure). The ECU can calculate air mass from the MAP signal and others and knowing the intake's flow characteristics.

#3 SparkyCNY

SparkyCNY

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:39 PM

Well that may explain the mystery.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

Your air-filter is in the box right behind the throttle body, right?

Then it's a MAP system....Pressure, temp and the ECU interpolates....and has a word with the O2 sensor in the exhaust to see if it guessed right.

#5 SparkyCNY

SparkyCNY

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

The air filter is right behind the throttle body. The air filter box is betweene the firewall and the throttle body.

#6 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

Does anyone know: How does one remove the MAF from its housing? My car definately has one right behind the Air filter, however, it looks to be put on with strange looking attachment srews. I think read somewhere something about a Torx tool requirement, but what size attachment?
Thanks for any imput!

#7 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

Does anyone know: How does one remove the MAF from its housing? My car definately has one right behind the Air filter, however, it looks to be put on with strange looking attachment srews. I think read somewhere something about a Torx tool requirement, but what size attachment?
Thanks for any imput!

Does yours look like this?

http://discens.org/g...hp?g2_itemId=65

All it takes is a 10mm wrench and a regular screw driver. As far as I know, the plastic ones do NOT come apart. And the metal ones may need an allen wrench to come apart, but I would suggest against that. If it NEEDS cleaned (not that you just want to), use a cotton swap with rubbing alcohol. If there is nothing wrong with your car, would advise STRONGLY against taking the MAF apart.

#8 SparkyCNY

SparkyCNY

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Syracuse

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

No that's not it.

#9 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

Does yours look like this?

http://discens.org/g...hp?g2_itemId=65

All it takes is a 10mm wrench and a regular screw driver. As far as I know, the plastic ones do NOT come apart. And the metal ones may need an allen wrench to come apart, but I would suggest against that. If it NEEDS cleaned (not that you just want to), use a cotton swap with rubbing alcohol. If there is nothing wrong with your car, would advise STRONGLY against taking the MAF apart.

I wish mine did, the one shown looks much easier than mine. My MAF (simillar to a triangle shape) slides into the housing and is secured with two metal closers, but they resemble more of a rivet then screw.

#10 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

No that's not it.

Sparky, we already determined that you have a MAP system, not a MAF system.

#11 skizix

skizix

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Boulder

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:37 AM

It's a MAP. No MAF. The MAP sensor sits on top of the intake manifold, pretty much right in the center (just aft of the coil pack). Super easy to swap out, but not really cleanable, from all I've heard. If you think you need a new one, PM me -- I've got a spare, healthy one, sitting idle on my shelf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users