Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) Location

Where is the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) on a 2003 Outback Wagon, 4-cyl? Does anyone have a diagram or picture? I want to inspect/clean the MAF. I mouse had gotten into my air filter and chewed a few small holes. (Life in the country) I want to be sure everything is clean.

I've pulled everything off the throttle body with an electrical connection and don't recognize it. So either I don't know what I'm looking for or I haven't found it yet.

I'm puzzled.

Does anyone know: How does one remove the MAF from its housing? My car definately has one right behind the Air filter, however, it looks to be put on with strange looking attachment srews. I think read somewhere something about a Torx tool requirement, but what size attachment?

Thanks for any imput!

Does anyone know: How does one remove the MAF from its housing? My car definately has one right behind the Air filter, however, it looks to be put on with strange looking attachment srews. I think read somewhere something about a Torx tool requirement, but what size attachment?

Thanks for any imput!

Does yours look like this?

http://discens.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=65

All it takes is a 10mm wrench and a regular screw driver. As far as I know, the plastic ones do NOT come apart. And the metal ones may need an allen wrench to come apart, but I would suggest against that. If it NEEDS cleaned (not that you just want to), use a cotton swap with rubbing alcohol. If there is nothing wrong with your car, would advise STRONGLY against taking the MAF apart.

Does yours look like this?

http://discens.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=65

All it takes is a 10mm wrench and a regular screw driver. As far as I know, the plastic ones do NOT come apart. And the metal ones may need an allen wrench to come apart, but I would suggest against that. If it NEEDS cleaned (not that you just want to), use a cotton swap with rubbing alcohol. If there is nothing wrong with your car, would advise STRONGLY against taking the MAF apart.

I wish mine did, the one shown looks much easier than mine. My MAF (simillar to a triangle shape) slides into the housing and is secured with two metal closers, but they resemble more of a rivet then screw.

It's a MAP. No MAF. The MAP sensor sits on top of the intake manifold, pretty much right in the center (just aft of the coil pack). Super easy to swap out, but not really cleanable, from all I've heard. If you think you need a new one, PM me -- I've got a spare, healthy one, sitting idle on my shelf.