Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84GL diesels on shutdown

Hey everbody,

My 84 GL just doesn't know when to quit. It has a problem, dieseling I believe its called, on shutdown the engine likes to sputter sputter and not die for a few seconds (sometimes more like 5-7 seconds). Then when it does die, it coughs really bad out of the air filter. Its been doing this for a few weeks now. Not everytime, but too often.

It has a weber carb that I have been tinkering with (idle is steady at 1000, choke is set really low becuase it was getting stuck and idling at 2000, and mixture is, well, mixed:).

It also has a MSD coil and wires, and Bosch plugs that are the recommended types for a stock setup. Also a new distributer cap/rotor. The dieseling started about a month after I put in the new ignition.

Do you think that switching to cooler plugs will help? Could there be a short in the ignition?

Also, when I pulled the old plugs, I notice to my horror that the #1 cylinder plug threads are all torn up, and I barely got the new plug seated. Now I am pretty nervous about replacing it, or I guess I am just putting it off a proper repair. Has anybody ever mixed and matched plugs on these babies. I am thinking 3 of the cooler plugs and the one stock plug. This doesn't sound right to me, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

All in all, I love my 84 GL. She's skookum (tough) and reliable and fun. Tommorow I am going to drive down to Oregon (350 miles) and I don't have any worries. Until I turn off the motor, that it is!!!

thanks and happy hollerdays

-redrat owner in bham wa

Reduce your idle speed to 700-800, bring the timing back a degree or two (will help with the too-high idle), and adjust the idle mixture properly. It's all about the fine adjustments to stop the deiseling. You get the hang of it eventually. My first try with a Weber I had that problem for a while too. You need to get the idle to where it's running ENTIRELY with the idle circuit, and the throttle plate is closed.

You do have the vacuum advance hooked to the ported carb vacuum port and not the manifold right? Manifold vacuum will cause the idle timing to be way too high.

GD

Reduce your idle speed to 700-800, bring the timing back a degree or two (will help with the too-high idle), and adjust the idle mixture properly. It's all about the fine adjustments to stop the deiseling. You get the hang of it eventually. My first try with a Weber I had that problem for a while too. You need to get the idle to where it's running ENTIRELY with the idle circuit, and the throttle plate is closed.

You do have the vacuum advance hooked to the ported carb vacuum port and not the manifold right? Manifold vacuum will cause the idle timing to be way too high.

GD

Hey thanks for the quick reply GD. The vacuum advance is hooked up to a port on the carb that in just below and foreward of the choke body. It is right near the base of the carb, but I'm not sure if thats the manifold or what.

I will lower my idle to 7 or 8 and back the timing off a degree or two before my trip tommorow, and let you know if that helps.