Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I beleive that you could upgrade to the EJ25 engine for an extra 30 hp! As far as I know the sensor connectors are all the same, and the ECU for the EJ25 should plug right in. You may even be able to use the EJ22 ECU.

A subaru expert (dealer) or CCR engines should be able to confirm whether you can do this, and whether the ECU needs to be swapped as well.

The EJ25 should cost the same as the EJ22, perhaps even less (more EJ25's by number than the EJ22 now). The ECU could be expensive though.

The only thing to note is that in 1998(?) the transmission mount changed so you will need a 1996-1997 EJ25 (the EJ22 also changed transmission mounts).

The 1996 EJ25 has 155 HP, will the 1997 was upgraded to 165 HP.

Unlike the EJ25, the EJ22's were far more reliable with very few head gasket failures (something like an 1 to 8 ratio verses the EJ25), so one from a scrapyard may be a good deal. Just change all gaskets, seals and belts, and consider replacing the head gaskets as well, its easy to do with the new engine out of the car.

Rob,

96 was the first year for the 2.5 and no I don't have a wire harness (it along with the 2.5 engine now reside in my VW Vanagon!) I got the ecu as a spare in case I screwed the wiring up and burned up the ecu but it's been doing fine for almost 2 years now and I don't think I'm going to need the ecu.

Dwight

Dwight,

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it is running well. :D

Do you know if the '96 EJ25 is similar to the '98 EJ25 from an RS ?

If that is the case, then I can extend the modelyears I am looking for.

I need the harness for a conversion as well (Beetle)

Thanks,

Rob.

First, to convert to an EJ25 in a '96, you'd have to change the Y-pipe of the exhaust. ('96 EJ22 has single port exhaust, 2.5 has dual port exhaust). You'll also need the 2.5 intake manifold. Otherwise, you don't need to change the wiring, ECU or much of anything else.

But my main question still remains...why would you want to? For a lousy 30hp? Part of which you lose because the 2.5 is a heavier engine.

The unreliability of the 2.5 is ridiculous, the fact that it's interferential is also a huge thing to consider.

And they're a LOT more money to buy!

ps: the '96 EJ25 had hydraulic lifters, they changed to solid lifters in '97 to gain the extra 5hp.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Originally posted by ccrinc

First, to convert to an EJ25 in a '96, you'd have to change the Y-pipe of the exhaust. ('96 EJ22 has single port exhaust, 2.5 has dual port exhaust). You'll also need the 2.5 intake manifold. Otherwise, you don't need to change the wiring, ECU or much of anything else.

But my main question still remains...why would you want to? For a lousy 30hp? Part of which you lose because the 2.5 is a heavier engine.

The unreliability of the 2.5 is ridiculous, the fact that it's interferential is also a huge thing to consider.

And they're a LOT more money to buy!

ps: the '96 EJ25 had hydraulic lifters, they changed to solid lifters in '97 to gain the extra 5hp.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

My 1993 Legacy EJ22 had a dual port exhaust, did they change the EJ22 to single port at one point? In 95 when they went from 130 to 135 HP?

I know it was dual port, because my 1985 GL wagon was single port... very different design.

Perhaps it was a Canadian thing, as until 1995 all Subaru's in Canada came from Japan, and none from SIA. I even have friends with the more powerful DOHC EJ22 that were stock in their 1991 Legacy LS wagons (5MT's only, the 91 4EAT's were SOHC).

after driving a 2.2 legacy wagon across New Zealand last week it reafirmed my liking this car.

My brother in law has had no trouble at all with it at over 120,000 kms.

This is a big change from my 99 2.5 which has required over $4,000 US to make right at about the same mileage.

I would have been happy to sacrifice a few HP for the reliability of the 2.2.

To answer the question about why the 2.5s have head gasket failure I think it is the overbore and open deck myself, but I am sure Subaru would like to know for sure too.

They have had several years to cure it and I sure hope they have it now as I am riding on thier latest gaskets.