Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keyless entry reprogramming issues on my 98 outback

I'm living and working up at Crystal mountain this year, and too many times have I left too late only to find my locks frozen. This is no good. Especially when it's cold outside (obviously). Getting down on my hands and knees to blow on the lock to try and defrost it is getting pretty phazing.

Anyway, on my last excursion down to tacoma, I was stopping by the dealership to pick up an oil filter and I thought to ask if my car maybe came with keyless entry. The guy told me that it most likely did, seeing as how it's equipped with the cold weather package.

So, having just been paid, I decided to pull the trigger and buy the remote. He briefly described where this little button would be that I need to hold down to program the remote. It made sense, so I went outside and started to look for it. Up underneath where my left foot would normally rest...thirty minutes later I went back in and had him re-describe it to me. Okay, made sense still, yet I didn't see it before... Time to go back out and look again. No go.

I went in once more and asked him if it might be somewhere else, and he told me no, but that it might still be taped up in the bundle of wires. Awesome. So I went and looked again, but by now it was much darker, and much colder. I had a flashlight, but nothing for the cold. I called it quits for a while.

So, my question is, where exactly should I be looking for this little brown wire with a black button on the end of it? I can see a couple of little brown wires, but no button...? I've looked up under the clutch pedal like the mechanic said, and I've felt for the button in the bundles, but I can't really tell what I'm feeling. Like I said, I'm not even sure if my car came equipped with it, so it might not exsist. Is there a way I can either confirm whether or not it did? I'm open to ideas...

The keyless entry has a controllor box that is zip tied or electrical taped to the harness under the steering column. It's about 1"x4"x6", black, and says subaru security system or something on it. The button has this funny bell-shaped surrond on it, looks more like a beeper than a button. Find the box first, then follow the wires from it.

Original installation instructions direct you to install the button in the left lower dash trim below the diagnostic connector.

D. System Power-Up and Programming

The system will not operate until the following steps are completed.

Re-connect the negative battery cable.

Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position (do not start the engine).

Insert the 10-amp fuses into the module WHITE/BLACK and PINK wires.

Open the driver's door before proceeding any further.

Press and hold the programming button.

In fifteen (15) seconds the door locks will cycle three (3) times to indicate that the system is in the transmitter programming mode. DO NOT release the programming button.

Press the LOCK button two (2) times on one of the transmitters.

The door locks will cycle each time a button is pressed to confirm programming.

Repeat step 6 for the second transmitter.

Release the programming button and turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.

E. Installation Testing

Note: If an incorrect response to test procedure is observed, refer to the corresponding installation step and verify installation.

Close all vehicle doors (with dome switch set to "doors" - middle position).

Press the LOCK button on one of the remote transmitters.

All vehicle doors will lock.

The parking lights will flash once.

Press the UNLOCK button on one of the remote transmitters.

The driver's door will unlock.

The vehicle courtesy light and DOOR AJAR indicator will turn on.

The parking lights will flash once.

Press and hold UNLOCK on the same transmitter.

All doors will unlock.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the second remote transmitter.

:headbang: