Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CEL and P0136 code

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JOEK39

JOEK39

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Upstate NY (Albany)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hi:

'01 Forester with 90K miles, non-turbo.

Had drivability issues about 6 months ago, with no codes, finally got around to changing the front O2 sensor (thanks to several posts here) and that immediately solved the problem. :)

CEL now on and throwing P0136 (rear O2 sensor?) codes. Have reset codes several times and it comes back within 2 days. No other codes (like P0420) present.

No drivability issues, no change in mileage, in fact she's running as good as she ever did.

Thoughts on this ?? :confused: I'm thinking rear O2 sensor, except I have seen very few posts from others. I'm hoping its not the cat converter.

Thanks in advance.

- Joe

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,563 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Ive been there have the same code. The code your seeing is for the o2 sensor that checks the operation of the cat. It wont affect car performance, but it will need to be replaced before your next inspection. Also it will mask any other condition that throws a CEL.
This sensor can be generic.

nipper

#3 JOEK39

JOEK39

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Upstate NY (Albany)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

Ive been there have the same code. The code your seeing is for the o2 sensor that checks the operation of the cat. It wont affect car performance, but it will need to be replaced before your next inspection. Also it will mask any other condition that throws a CEL.
This sensor can be generic.

nipper

Thanks Nipper. that was the answer I was hoping for. :)

You've helped me many times.

- Joe

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,563 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Nipper. that was the answer I was hoping for. :)

You've helped me many times.

- Joe

heheh good. Find a 2 for one sale on these and get me one too :-p

i have the same thing.

nipper

#5 JOEK39

JOEK39

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Upstate NY (Albany)

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

just checked several places online - the correct model for me is a Bosch 13469 (4-wire heated). It goes for $90-$107 at various places. A generic is a 3-wire "universal" for $55-$70.

Interestingly, the Bosch front sensor, a 5-wire, wideband heated model can be purchased for $72 !!

Go figure. I think I'll stick with the Bosch 4-wire, but think I will remove the existing first and make sure its a 4-wire model.

Thanks again. - Joe

#6 Lnoack

Lnoack

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mendocino

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info on this post. It may be a few years old, but it was just what I needed. Getting a P0136 code on my 02 Forester, 71K miles. Now see that I probably need a new rear oxygen sensor, Bosch 13469. Current price $81 on Amazon.
Grateful to you!

Edited by Lnoack, 02 April 2010 - 07:20 PM.
correct price

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users