Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

gl-10 1987

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lonnie

lonnie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • oregon city

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

recent purchase with 92K mi., excellent shape... almost.

air suspension leaks which after searching forum is not uncommon. want to convert and again used serach, to find fit for my application but no luck.

questions:
1. what years will work to make swap out
2. exactly what parts do i need to make switch

ps. in the end is it cost effective to just buy conversion kit.

help very much appreciated, thank you.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,582 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

recent purchase with 92K mi., excellent shape... almost.

air suspension leaks which after searching forum is not uncommon. want to convert and again used serach, to find fit for my application but no luck.

questions:
1. what years will work to make swap out
2. exactly what parts do i need to make switch

ps. in the end is it cost effective to just buy conversion kit.

help very much appreciated, thank you.

I would say go to a junkyard, and pull all four struts, pull em as a whole assembly so you get the mountings and springs. If you want to buy new sruts to install, get basically any year(85-94) GL or Loyale nonair suspension
4WD struts. You may be able to just buy the new struts and use your existing uppermounts and springs, but they may be different so I would get a set of used ones with springs and eveything so you have all the parts needed.

#3 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • montana

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:18 PM

you can swap in any gl/loyal struts and springs, junk yard is a good suggestion.

however i have a set of factory adjustable struts and springs with only 63k on em, they are still on the car so you can verify milage

we are in portland and can help with install as well

business line is 503-283-0207

thanks-dan

#4 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

I did that conversion. The front passenger air shock on Muphy, the $500 87 T-Wag, would leak overnight, and the car would look drunk the next morning. Eventualy, the air pump gave out completely, so I ended up doing the swap.

If you have the budget, I would buy new struts instead of using junkyard stuff, because you don't know how good the junkyard struts are; they may be bad. If you don't have $$$ for new pull complete strut assembleys for all four wheels. If you do have the $$$, go to the boneyard, and pull the following:

Springs and top brackets for the front, and springs / mounting brackets for the back. If you like a firmer ride with better handling, pull the front springs / strut assembly from an RX sedan / coupe if there is one in the yard. They're stiffer than the standard wagon front springs. Do not pull the backs from that car though, as they are not as stiff as the wagon.

When you go to the yard, bring a suspension spring compressor and a pry bar with you. It will make your task a heck of a lot easier. I tried it without, and lets just say I learned my lesson.

PS. If you want to be adventurous, I hear you can use fornt springs from an 87 - 89 Honda Accord on the back of the GL / Loyale wagons. I haven't done it though, and I would search the forum for more opinions or pro's / con's on that before deciding.

#5 lonnie

lonnie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • oregon city

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

gentelmen-thanks so much for your advice and help. all is appreciated.

ps. i belong to many car clubs and participate in several forums. this is my first venture here and it has been a very nice experience, thank you.

#6 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

Your welcome. Do I get a cookie for the effort??? :banana:

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,194 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

so long as the airbags on the struts arent leaking usually they leak at the nylon lines where they meet the junctions. the o rings leak, sometimes simply wiggling the line will make it stop. try some suilicone spray or pb blaster to rejuvinate the o-rings.

you will find o rings at the tops of the struts and at the compressor junction itself inside the driver's fender.

in some instance you can double up the o rings.

some of this is not permanent fixes but it will get you by until replacing the suspension, at leas to keep the compressof from bugging out. if the compressor runs constantly the alternator wont like it

#8 lonnie

lonnie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • oregon city

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

dan-thanks so much for your help. the adj. struts/springs work great and i did not realize how bad the ride had gotten. appreciate it very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users