Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

low beams not working....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darkstar3169

darkstar3169

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Maine

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:14 PM

I have a '94 Legacy L wagon and the low beams are not working. The high beams work OK and the flash works fine too. I have checked the obvious (fuses, relays, bulbs). The relays do "click" when the lights are turned on in the car. I assume this means they are working. My father and I tried to figure the wiring out but we had no luck. Is there a ground up at the bulb or is it just in the switch? Could it just be a bad switch? Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 meep

meep

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • No. AL

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:57 PM

do the lows use fuses or breakers? Are they separate circuits for each side (check). If separate, find the common points (1 or 2 relays, etc.?) and target those.

Relays can go bad even if they make sound, but I wouldn't expect 2 to fail at once.

You said you did check the bulbs, right? Ohm test or juice test?

If the relay clicks, I'm not sure if the switch is the culprit, unless it's the hi/lo switch at fault-- that could do it. You need a diagram...

mike

#3 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:31 PM

I once was puzzled when both my parking lights were out, and since I'm not an electrician, I started the cheap way and replaced both bulbs. They have both worked fine since...

#4 alias20035

alias20035

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Canada

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:28 AM

The left and right headlights are on two isolated circuits, even the switch on the turn signal stock has two contacts, one for each headlight. This level of duplication is required on all passenger cars by DOT regulation. So a common cause is very unlikely.

I reviewed the wiring diagram and there is nothing in common that I can see that would prevent both low beams from working.

Check the low beams filimant for contiuity (check resistance) or just change them both.

Did you use high wattage bulbs and fry the wires? A mere 10-15 watts over the standard 55/60 or 55/65 will fry Subaru wires, the wires are very weak.

Since the relays click, there is continuity from the interior switch to the relay, which is really good because a problem in the wiring here would be very difficult and expensive to correct.

Check the wiring harness at the bulb for voltage, if none the wires between the headlight and relay are damaged or you need new relays because the contacts inside of them are not working (possibly burnt).

It is very common for one bulb to fail and the second one to fail shortly after, which is why you are supposed to replace bulbs in pairs, including replacing the good one.

#5 darkstar3169

darkstar3169

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Maine

Posted 28 November 2003 - 10:28 PM

We just purchased this car, so I don't know if higher wattage bulbs were used. I doubt it since we bought it from an elderly man. We tried a test light on each of the terminals on the plug going to each headlight. With the switch on low beam, each terminal was hot. But when the switch was on high beam, only two of the terminals were hot. The other test we did was to run a grounded wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery to the headlight and the low beam did work. Hope this doesn't make things more dificult to diagnose. Should we just try new relays and/or new bulbs? Thanks again.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,287 posts
  • Texas

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:16 AM

Some of your post confuses me, but it sounds like you have a relay or maybe a wiring problem. If wiggling some cables around doesn't make the lights flicker then I'd definitely try the relay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users