Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Fuel Delivery Issues

WJM

Ok, the GL-10 in the sig...1986, FT4WD, Turbo EA82. (Originally 2wd auto)

Not surging, but skipping, hopping, and cutting out, and leaning out. The Fuel pump is 3 years old come this march. Its already got a brand new fuel filter...and its still doing it.

So...under accel, before boost, it cuts, hops, skips. Under boost, it doesnt do it as much, but worse and more violent than not under boost. This problem has been getting progressively worse, over the last couple weeks...but only showed up like this on tueday...ironicly the day the RX roared to life. Jealousy rage?

So...bad O2? Flapper air flow meter going out? Fuel pump starting to fail? Or is it just jealous of the RX? I dont think turbo soobs should be jealous of each other.

But seriously...what could it be?

Will, you sound convinced it is a fuel starvation causing this.

I will then have to assume you have an air fuel ratio meter connected and are seeing it go full lean when this occures.

If not how do you know it is fuel starved?

A spark related problem could show the same symptoms- no??

Yeah, spark could cause this....no, i dont have an A/F guage, although Id love to have one. But, I dont see how spark could cause this. I have NEW: Cap, rotor, accel coil, Beck/Arnly wires, and NGK R plugs.

The engine temp rises by 10-20 deg F when power drops off, and then hops and skips when I dont let out of it. Last i remembered...the leaner something runs, the hotter it runs.

Recently, I took out and cleaned each individual fuel injector.

i'm thinking that if you are seeing a rise in water temp, i'm guess it is going to almost full lean.

I just installed an Air/Fuel gauge and EGT gauge in my car, and it does make a world of difference. You can now know what is going on in there, and get it worked out.

what you tried pulling the plugs and see what they look like??

We actually had this problem on one of our Ice Racers. We'd be pulling hard in like 2nd gear, then the car would just fall on it's face. It wasn't boost cut, it would just sit there and stop. You'd have to push in the clutch to try and get it to come back to live.

We changed everything, Plugs, wires, cap, MAF, Computer, Distributor. EVERYTHING. and it still does is occasionally.

i'm havin similiar probs, theres another post sorta related i think

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7907

i've swapped my maf with a known good one (came off my turbo wagon) rewired the coil, checked all vacuum lines, and nothin.. car falls on its face between 3-5k rpms, and pics up a tiny bit between 5k and 6k redline.. its very gutless.. doesn't like to start when its warm, gotta floor it to get it to start then it still takes 10-15 seconds.. when its cold however it doesn't even get a full revolution on the initial crank and it fires right up..

on the little black box under the steering column theres a littel red light, gettin 3 long flashes and 3 short flashes per cycle.. not sure what this means..

tomorrow, i'll be changin plugs, and rotor, and maybe even swap in my 2wd distributor.. i already have an accell coil, 8mm accell plug wires, and a new oem disty cap (still in plastic)

i'm a bit peeved.. am about ready to rip the engine out and put my 290k turbo motor in there, i know it runs right.