Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weatherly hill climb

I just moved into a new town in PA called weatherly in carbon county 9 miles south of Hazelton. So now the great news! Twice a year they have a Subaru hill climb! HOW COOL! The next one is september 15 and 16th. One day is for foreign cars and the other for American cars. Im there dude!

:banana: :banana: :banana::clap::burnout:

I just moved into a new town in PA called weatherly in carbon county 9 miles south of Hazelton. So now the great news! Twice a year they have a Subaru hill climb! HOW COOL! The next one is september 15 and 16th. One day is for foreign cars and the other for American cars. Im there dude!

spiffyness, definatly would like to check that out sometime,

isnt mount carmel right down the road from centrilia? that place was nuts.

Exactly. I can drive an ATV out of my yard, onto old logging/atv/dirt trails and get to Centralia and back without having to drive on the road. (I just cross one) Something about off roading over fire makes things that much more splendid. I love it! Half the reason I'm building a lifted 4x4 sube is all the trails that are just begging to be explored in the area. ATVs are fun and all, but again, the shock value of passing one of the Mount Carmel guys in a sube would be so very worth it. I used to have an 89 Isuzu Trooper. But compared to the Dodge Rams, jeep Wranglers, Chevy Suburbans, Hummer H3s and all that seem to dominate the area, it wasn't original enough. Closest thing to me down there is someone that lifted an old AMC Eagle 4x4. This sube is going to turn some heads this fall.

yeah. And I like the meet idea. I might be buying an 82 GL next week. If I'm free those days, my buddy and I could bring both wagons up for the climb.

hmmm, maybe we should also set up a centralia meet too.

Off roading heaven. I think it's half of what sustains the town of Mount Carmel. And yeah a Centralia meet would be AMAZING for me since it's all of five miles from my house. Say, a barbeque and some trail riding/exploring?

03-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

01.jpg

For those of you not familiar with the smoke pouring out of the ground on the last pic. Centralia used to be a town in the coal region of PA. In the 1960s a few guys burned some trash inside of one of the mine shafts. Well, they lit a vein of coal on fire and it has been burning ever since. The town had to be deserted and part of Route 61 was re-routed. So what's left, old overgrown streets/highway surrounded and intersected by logging trails, ATV trails, quarries and slag hills (Great for jumping) and when I first moved to the area over 2 years ago, I didn't really even care about off roading. Who knew?:lol:

Wow, I miss Appalachia..... :(

luv my swamps, though, so its a trade off..

THAT, is a very interesting story!! I am also not into off-roading at all, in an active sense.. You could call my interest "tangential" because its cool and all..I have been exposed and know people who go mudding all the time, but I have other things that take up my time and effort, you know? but I suspect that may also change if I had an abandoned town that was perpetually on fire that close to my house. Thanks for this thread!

Yeah. Those pics come from a 2 mega pixel nikon that I still have. I do have a decent camera, but the nikon just never dies. Works great for ATVing and all since it folds flat, and should I finally destroy it, it's no big loss. That way I can always get a snapshot if I see something neat/crazy. The downside is low quality pics. Like the picture I have of three bears running up a hillside. (Three black smudges against a greenish brown backdrop) Oh well. :cool:

Out of all my years I still have not gone to that one. I usually hit the Giants Despair in Wilkes-Barre/Laurel Run which is also a mound of burning coal. Only difference is people still choose to live there. Guess it saves on heating during those cold nights. So yeah anyway sounds like a good time, if time permits I just might venture.

Smiles,

Melis

Best part for me is its half a mile away from my house. I just moved so I havent looked at the hill yet but will be getting there this week end! Come on all you northeast suby lovers lets put this little town on the map as the subaru capitol of the northeast! Im going to call the local news station and see if they can get us some covarge on the tube. Will also have my vid camera and put it on You tube!

:banana:

Might want to check the regs, most hill climbs require a cage.
Not this one its not that bad of a hill, Its more like a rally hill climb. I ask a cop if i could pratice, He looked at my car and said yep dosent look like you could hurt it much more then it is. I got hit by a deer not long ago and the side of my car is bent to heck. read this post for pics of car http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75690&highlight=got+hit+by+a+deer Will take pics and of the hill to.

Not this one its not that bad of a hill, Its more like a rally hill climb. I ask a cop if i could pratice, He looked at my car and said yep dosent look like you could hurt it much more then it is. I got hit by a deer not long ago and the side of my car is bent to heck. read this post for pics of car http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75690&highlight=got+hit+by+a+deer Will take pics and of the hill to.

Well, that's cool. Its a shame its on the wrong side of PA, too far from Ohio. I'm now officially jealous. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...