Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

the long awaited return of the hatch, new exhaust, ect.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:16 AM

So, it was a long and adventurous battle with the hatch.

About two months ago, it began with my EA82 manifold and carb swap.

problem: manifold doesn't fit correctly. alternator bracket is in the way, the water pipe on the back of the manifold has to be cut, and some tweaking with the distributor has to occur. too much work for the weekend I started it all in.

problem: the carb was from an EA82 FWD car... it has all the emissions stuff and all the feedback stuff, whereas I hear the 4WD version doesn't rely on stupid switches and the 02 sensor to work it's A/F metering system. WAY TOO RICH.

problem: crossthreaded a bolt.
solution: replace head.
problem: water in oil.
problem: oil in coolant system.
problem: need to pull engine.
solution: Pulled engine, want to replace heads.
problem: heads I want to put on need to be cleaned. extra delay.
solution: let a friend clean them.
solution: rebuild engine, put in new clutch assembly.
problem: needs new exhaust studs.
problem: exhaust doesn't really match up, needs that extra spacer because the AIS was takin out.
solution: flanges as spacers, and a gasket between the head/flange/pipe.
problem: car dies
problem: carb is bad
problem: fuel pump dead
solution: replace pump, replace carb, rebuild replaced carb, rebuild vacuum line system for the rebuilt hitachi. (not as scary as one would think!)
problem: exhaust sucks
solution: build custom exhaust. straight pipe 2" to Cherry Bombs. $110.

That was last night. Drove her around some, adjusted some stuff, drove her home. This morning, adjusted throttle cable and mount, and idle and everything. Runs good, but I need new gaskets and need to retighten the exhaust down for a tighter fit.

problem: axle blows itself apart and makes loud noise, right after passing by two cops in a cop car, and my exhaust is not really "cop friendly", neither are the stripes on the hood... and you can see little red glasspacks under the car about mid way... hehe.

solution: I'm at a chinese place, order some food, spend time with the girlfriend, call Andrew and ask for some help. Tomorrow, I go and replace the dead axle.

it's been a fun last two months without my car, what's *one* more day?

PS: this is my only car and I rely on my girlfriend for drives to work.

#2 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:31 AM

oh, and yeah, it sounds like a #$@!'n truck. I need to replace exhaust gaskets and get some sort of mufflers to increase the backpressure a bit, decrease the sound a little bit, increase scavenging, but not hurt the tone of the sound.

That should be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users