Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disassembling headlight assembly ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chip

Chip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Canada

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

The inside of my headlight bezels seem to be clouded up a bit,(quite a bit), and I was going to attempt removing the clear part of the lens from the rest of the assembly and polish them.
Has anyone successfully disassembled the lens from the rest of the headlight assembly ?...(without destroying them ) ?<

98 O/B.

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,677 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

I have a 98 also. I don't think the headlight unit can be disassembled. The unit is glued together, and would break the plastic before the glue would separate. On my car the clear plastic lens gets cloudy. A good rub down with tooth paste brings back clarity. You may want to try doing that.

#3 xrturbo

xrturbo

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • allentown

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:09 AM

I wouldn't try to split it, they never reseal if you can get it apart.

#4 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

This is what I've done to get the front lens off of my SVX headlights.
-Preheat oven to 200*
-Remove all of the little clips that clamp the lens to the body, remove all the rubber boots.
-Put the assembly in the oven
-With gloves start checking it in a few minutes, it should take no more than 5 minutes
-Pull the light apart, leave all of the goopy black glue where it is, IT IS HOT IF IT STICKS TO YOU IT WILL HURT.
-If the glue "strings out" try to tuck it back into where it came from
-Once the lens is cool, you can clean it.
-To re-assemble, putthe pieces in the oven to soften the glue, this time only for about 1/2 the time.
-Using gloves, pull them out and imediately push them together. If you don't get it together tight, back into the oven...

The lights on my Legacy, look to be the same materials as the SVX. On the legacy, there is also a screw on the back edge, by the corner marker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users