Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo install questions...

Since I'm trying to put any available money into my Brat, I guess I should have called this 'How to get a new stereo without spending any money,' but hell.

I've got a '95 Legacy Brighton, that still has all the stock stereo equipment in it. I've got a $20 CD player from Wal-Mart (no skip protection = balance it on leg while driving) that's got maybe three weeks of use left, and I can't stand to listen to the radio. So, since my birthday falls on December 17, I convinced my mother to do a Birthmas present to me, namely an in-dash CD player. The last time I had one of these was the first year I had my '89 Celica, which was horrible, because there wasn't enough space between the shifter and the console to change the disc when the car was in park.

I'm perfectly capable of doing the install myself (after the Celica's player died due to a poor attempt at theft, I installed a replacement tape deck), but I'm not entirely certain what's required. I understand that the size of the stock unit is weird, and I'll need to buy a kit to make it look right, but do I need a wiring harness, or are these Best Buy guys just trying to make their job look harder? What is a wiring harness, anyway?

The harness matches the wires of the new deck to the cars radio plug. This means you don't have to destroy the car wiring. The wires are color coded and labled as to what they are. It makes the install job real easy.

There are kits available also to match the front of the new deck to the dash. You can check with http://www.Crutchfield.com to see what unit will work in your car.

If your looking for a AM/FM CD player for your Brat for a fact and with out a dout, Pioneer DEH-1500 same as DEH-15 will fit as will as the Pioneer DEH-P3100 same as DEH-P31 both have detachable faces

They will fit as long as you do not mind looseing the ashtray. It will mount in the same spot as the original radio is

Take the console out and use a jig saw and cut that section out leaving a 1/2 bourder on all 4 sides

cut 1/16 sheet metal to cover hole and cut opening so CD player sleve will slide into it

line up new face plate you just made and drill holes in the 4 corners use pop rivets to hold in place

use scrap metal for backing to prevent pop rivets from pulling out cover with matching vinyl

insert the CD player and follow the instruction on the wireing

if you go this route you don't need to worry about the wireing harness

I have 2 = 5 1/4 200w speakers in the front one under the steering colum (Yes theres room and it will fit) cut a hole in the plastic shroud under the colum. And one just above the tray. again cutting a hole. And behind the seats there are 2 = 6"x9"s 200w and 2 = 6" 200w

mounted in speaker boxes

Hassey