Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a few transmission/diff questions...

nw_david

i've got an 85 gl turbo wagon sitting in my garage, does it have a lsd diff or is that just gl-10s? also am i correct about automatic's 3.7, and manual 3.9 diff ratios? if that is right, have people opened up automatic transmissions to get out the 3.7 to put in a manual transmission? i'm asking about all this because i have a 91 loyale (manual), a spare d/r 5 speed, and that turbo car's automatic trans.

is the 85 an EA81 or EA82? if that turbo car is an automatic then i guess it has a 3AT transmission in it - that thing won't be compatible with anything and is worth the most by dropping it off to the scrap yard. get rid of it and swap to a manual transmission. don't bother saving any parts off of it, they are not compatible if it's a 3AT.

if you want a 3.7 final drive ratio, forget swapping front diffs, that is an enormous job that you don't need. just get a manual transmission that has a 3.7 final drive. any turbo manual trans will have 3.7 final drive, an RX (they are all turbo's) or an XT Turbo manual transmission will definitely have a 3.7 final drive.

in reality the 3.7 verses 3.9 final drive isn't much of a difference so just use what you have. someone did the calculations on this board, the difference isn't all that large.

for EA82's - it's not model specific for the LSD's - you just have to look. the only model that always has an LSD is an RX - all the rest could go either way.

as for the final drive ratios - i don't believe you can swap front differentials from automatics to manuals.

on the actual ratios - this information is probably already here, did you try searching? there's a "search" button up top in the gray bar. no the final drive is not only different from automatics to manuals. RX and XT Turbo's manual trans have 3.7 final drive. if turbo wagons are the same, which i think they are, then all Turbo's are a 3.7 final drive ratio. a search should clarify whatever you need to know though.

so if i want a limited slip rear diff i'll need to find a rx or turbo xt drive line?
no, you'll need to find an LSD!! i already answered this:
the only model that always has an LSD is an RX - all the rest could go either way.

do a search for more LSD rear diff information, this place is loaded with information and options. EJ LSD's are easier to find, but they aren't typically clutch type (they are viscous) VLSD and not as beneficial in offroad/snow. so depends what you want it for too. racing or messy driving?