Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone had a front impact crash with a ('96) Legacy Outback? I bumped/hit a tree a few weeks back at around 5-10mph, which in turn triggered both air bags.

There was no damage to the exterior of the car, but the bags shattered the windshield and caused the rear view mirror to fly off and hit me in the head; it (the mirror) landed in the back seat next to the kids. I think my head is still attached.

Is this normal for low-impact crashes? For a small crash such as this, it sure caused a lot of damage and potential extra injury...glass also went everywhere, including the back seat.

Also, does anyone know what powder is used to keep the bags from molding together? It filled the interoir of the car after the air bags activated. Harmful?

Thanks!

Sweden

I had a front end collision with a Lincoln Continental, goin about 15 MPH. The front end, hood, bumper, lights, radiator, condenser got smashed...$3500 in damages but the air bags did not go off.

The hood curled up but no air bags. Thank heavens, $1300 less to spend.

Sorry to hear bout yours.

It seems as though, then, that the sensors in the bumper are not real precise, or where one hits is extremely important.

Has anyone had an issue with the mirror becoming a projectile? I don't mind so much that the bags deployed (called 'air pillows' here in Sweden), but I am a bit disturbed that mirror blew off it's mounts and that the windshield was shattered--causing glass to fly evewrywhere.

Sweden

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. I just totalled a 1995 Legacy after a young girl made a left turn in front of me and I swerved and slid on the damp street into one of those 4 foot high cement yellow bollards. No one was hurt (well I still ache a little when i think of how my Legacy looked that day).

Both airbags went off and I'm not sure if they contributed to it or it was from the impact but the windshield cracked and the rearview mirror fell off. It happened pretty quick and I honestly don't remember being head-deep in airbag but I do know the smell of those airbags is a sickening burnt plastic smell that makes you want to gag. The smoke pretty much filled up the whole car.

The propellant used in airbags is called sodium azride, or something. It is basically solid rocket fuel. Combusts extremely fast, with a high volume of gases. Don't know if the byproducts are harmful or not.

Have you ever bumped into anything before? I know that on some cars, there are a few sensors up front, and more than one needs to be triggered before the bag will deploy. Someone backing into you in a parking lot could possibly arm one sensor, leaving one or others to take the next hit, possibly without much force.

As far as the windshield goes....

The reason the windshield broke is because the windshield is PART OF the Airbag system.

When an airbag deploys, it is a misconception that it is strictly the airbag coming at you that holds you. As the airbag deploys and you are thrust into it, the airbag has to have something behind it for support. Drivers side obviously uses the steering wheel. Passenger side uses the windshield.

As an auto glass pro, seeing people trying to replace their windshield with no experience or letting a "hack" replace it is really scary.

When I replace a windshield (about 10 times a day), we must keep the vehicle in our possession for 1/2 hour until the adhesives set up enough to meet the FMVSS. If the vehicle has a Passenger side airbag, it is 1 hour (currently). If the airbag would deploy before this time, the windshield will fly out of the car and the airbag would just deflate.

As far as the rear view hitting you in the head... Believe it or not, that is SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! No! It is not supposed to hit you in the head!!!! Many vehicles are now being designed with what are known as "break away" mirrors. There were some cases where the airbags were deploying and the rear view, staying in place and cracking were causing a premature deflation of the airbag. Now, when the airbag deploys and hits the rear view, the airbag wins the battle. Although the mirror becomes a projectile, it is minor compared to an airbag failure. (in a serious accident anyway!!)