Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a bearring quote

hey there-

can anybody out there give me a labor figure on how much a RX rear stub axle bearing should cost to have pressed in?

rear control arm is out of car,

RX bearring gonna cost $110....:eek: :eek: :eek:

dealer quoted me 2hrs labor at $140................eh?!

thx

shanonsf

PS: anybody got a good RX rear bearring they wanna part with??

$140 is way too much to pay to have the bearings pressed if the whole thing is out of the car, if it is anything like the ea81 cars. I did my rear bearings myself for less than $30 per side by going down to napa with the part number off the back of the race. If I was going to have someone else press them together I would go down to a machine shop because they could probably do it in less than 20min and for way less than $140.

The dealer saying $140 is letting you know that they have never serviced the bearings on an older soob and they dont have a clue what they are doing.

hhhmmm,

I went to a Kragen/Napa and they quoted me a similar $$ for the bearring......'bout 3x the price for an ol' EA81........

are they that different?

or COULD I take the control arm/bearring assembly to a shop and have them match & install it..??

thx

shanonsf

Shannon dont do it!

standard labor time for a rear wheelbearing job(complete) is 1.4hrs according to alldata. now if you had it all out and ready to go? 2 hrs? no way dude. and 110$ for the bearing?

I can hook you up for less I am sure. I can get an actual quote if you have not purchased it already.

as for pressing. I only charge 40$ per hour:brow: 100 cheaper than the dealer.

let me know if you want the hook up. espically if you pull it and bring it down to me. might just save you a couple of bills