Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Installation

I'm putting a new clutch in a 1992 loyale. Got the whole clutch kit (pressue plate, pilot and thow out bearing and clutch) for $140. Manual says that the clutch will say which side faces the flywheel, but I don't see anything that tells me which way. When I pulled off the pressure plate the clutch fell out and I did not see the way the old one was installed.

Any clues.

SnotR is correct as usual, the springs and part of the hub will stand proud on one side of the clutch disc, this side goes toward the pressure plate (transmission)

Couple other notes

1) make sure the throwout bearing slides easily on the tranny input shaft cover (I like graphite as it does not attract dirt)

2) make sure the splines on the input shaft are clean and that the disk slides easily (graphite again)

3) test fit the throw bearing hold on clips - be a bummer to break a cheap part like that 10kmi down the road.

Very good price BTW, nice score.

Hope this helps

mlambie,

I am doing a clutch on a 92 loyale as well.. and Ive been stuck on trying to get my transmission off the engine. I was wondeing if there is something I'm missing.

Firstly, I'm trying to lower the transmisson and the car is on jackstands

Ive taken off...

4 engine/trans bolts (2top, 2bottom)

starter

both crossmembers

all electrical connections, clutch cable, shifting components etc.

released the engine support bracket (on the top)

and I"m wrestling with the transmission and it wont budge, I cant seem to get any seperation between the engine and transmission...

Is there something stupid that I'm missing, or do you have a suggestion on how to get this tranny down...

Should I jack up the rear wheels more so that the angle the engine and transmission are at is more vertical?

Even when I jack the transmission up it seems like the whole engine and even the car move up a little; but I can never slide the jack backwards no matter how hard I try.

thanks

In my experience it is easier to remove the engine if you don't have a lift. Trying to get the tranny out and then work on the clucth from the bottom with the car on stands is a pain in the a**.

I can usually get an engine out in about 1.5 hours with a hoist. Just check all the bolt connections and reverse the operation for reinstallation.

To answer your question. You live in Mass. and they use alot of salt on the roads. This causes oxidation between the transmission housing and the alignment studs. The housing is aluminium and the studs are steel. I had this problem with a car from Maine and it was a matter of wedging a couple of screwdrivers into the seam between the tranny and the engine. Be gentle as you do not want to crack anything. It's hard to separate the two, but we got mine done and ack on the road. It works best with two guys working on both sides of the car together. Once you have the tranny down, clean the studs and apply anti-seize grease to prevent this situation form comming up again.

You may also want to check and make sure you've taken the tranny mounts loose.

Hope this helps