Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front 5 stud conversion and brake calipers .

discopotato03

Hi all , I've been looking at trying to see if its possible to re create what Subaru did with XT6 front brake calipers because we didn't get XT6's in Australia though we did get L/XT4/and Liberty's (Legacy's) .

From reading FSM's for the XT6 , L series and 1st Gen Legacy its looks like dimensionally the slide bolt centres are the same for the three different calipers .

I am wondering if the basic early Legacy caliper mounting bracket could be used with the common L/XT4/XT6 E brake type bridge or floating section to end up with the same deal as the XT6 - with the Legacy disc .

So the bottom line is that if the XT6 and Legacy mounting bracket sections are the same it should work . The XT6 disc itself is 262 x 22 and the 1G Legacy 260 x 24 . Actually the Leg' bracket is possibly 2mm wider to suit the 24mm disc rotor but the 1mm extra on the radius really stuff all .

Want to keep the E brake on the front of my RX Sedan , cheers A .

search around for posts by baccaruda. he found a way to mount XT6 calipers to his legacy knuckles.

of course, that doesn't really help you because you don't have XT6 calipers. and XT6 stuff is not the same as 4-cyl EA82 stuff.

tomorrow I might go take apart the XT6 hub knuckle assemblies that I just acquired :clap: and compare them to the '92 Legacy and EA82 stuff I've already got laying around. There's a few things I want to find out.

Hi Numbchux , the thing I really really need to know is what if any significant differences exist between the XT6 and 92 Liberty/Legacy caliper mounting bracket - the bit the pads slide in .

The manuals pretty much show the exact same floating caliper section , piston and pad dimensions , so if the early Legacy caliper bracket is functionally the same as the XT6 one then I can make to all intents and purposes an XT6 front caliper . The Liberty/Legacy front disc rotor is similar enough I think particularly if the wider disc is used in its native caliper mounting bracket .

An interesting experiment would be to see if the XT6 calipers floating section and slide bolt pins can be fitted to the 90-92Legacy caliper mounting bracket - and the whole lot assembled over the Legacy knuckle and disc rotor . This would prove once and for all that they are dimensionally the same - L/XT6 and Legacy floating sections and L/XT6 slide pin bolts .

I tried this over here with L floating sections and Liberty caliper brackets but the thread pitch is different where the slide bolt fittings screw into the caliper bracket . Funnily enough the RS turbo Liberty caliper mounting brackets use the same coarser pitch thread as the L series slide bolt fittings but have longer legs to place the floating twin piston section further out for the larger diameter disc rotor .

I may have to resort to begging someone over there to sell/ship me a pair of XT6 back plates and disc rotors if all else fails .

Cheers A .

• 2 years later...