Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 legacy's headlight lenses have finally gone past the point of no return -- foggy, scratched, a total mess. I'd buffed them out the past 3 years, but at this point there's no working on them, i'm going to fail inspection.

Any idea how much each one of those lenses runs? Are they easy to replace? Will it actually make the car usable at night again? ;) (the gen-2's headlights seem to suck relative to my gen-3 legacy's... not sure if it is just a function of age or what.)

cheers

I used Wurth clearcoat on my dingy yellow lenses. I thought it would be worth a try before spending huge money on new lenses. Attachment photo shows the right side with the clearcoat applied, left side without treatment.

post-24399-13602762787_thumb.jpg

post-24399-136027627885_thumb.jpg

Mine got to the point where they had spiderweb cracks running through them, and were almost completely opaque. I replaced them with a pair of the projectors, which were a huge upgrade, and cheaper than buying new headlights.

I'm not sure if you can just get the plastic lenses for them though.

Mine got to the point where they had spiderweb cracks running through them, and were almost completely opaque. I replaced them with a pair of the projectors, which were a huge upgrade, and cheaper than buying new headlights.

I'm not sure if you can just get the plastic lenses for them though.

Where did you get the projector lights from?

skibumm....thats really something...i will def. give Wurths clearcoat a try when mine turn like that.....ill bet you notice a huge difference when driving at night also right?.....by the way were did you get that stuff?

Do a Goggle search on Wurth Clear Lacquer, many places have it for about $12.00 a can. It's a top coat for their Wurth German silver wheel paint. One can goes a long way as I have done 5 Bmw wheels with it and its still about half full.

Make sure you get the lens as clean as you can before spraying them, I cleaned mine with detergent solution and very fine steel wool, then used a prep solvent on the lenses right before I sprayed them. I just used Oops multi purpose cleaner for the solvent.

Not sure it makes the night vision allot better, but sure does make the car look allot nicer looking.

i'm curious too -- where did you source them from? did they go in easily?

I got mine off of ebay, where they show up all the time.

They bolt in as a direct fit, but the wiring is slightly different. I made a pair of adapters that would plug into the stock H4 wiring harness to fit the projectors so I would have the option of going back to standard headlights if I ever needed to.

The only other thing about them is since they were Japanese market only, the cutoff shield on the projectors should be flipped in order to change the lighting pattern for driving on the right side of the road.