Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Frount Axle Boots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

While checking out my check engine light today I noticed that the inner CV boot is tore in half on one frount axle. I checked a couple of other threads on this and was wondering if new axles and boots are the way to go? My Outback has 150,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that they have never been replaced and I hate doing anything twice when you can do it once and be done with it, and since CCR is just over the hill from me I think that I would go with their axles. Any suggestions.

Jim

#2 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

I would only fix the torn boot one. There's no point in fixing the other one if it isn't broken.

#3 98obster

98obster

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Greeley

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

While checking out my check engine light today I noticed that the inner CV boot is tore in half on one frount axle. I checked a couple of other threads on this and was wondering if new axles and boots are the way to go? My Outback has 150,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that they have never been replaced and I hate doing anything twice when you can do it once and be done with it, and since CCR is just over the hill from me I think that I would go with their axles. Any suggestions.

Jim

I just had the same problem. I ordered boot kit and a GCK axle on amazon (no core cost). I installed the new axle (quality seems good) and I will eventually rebuild the original axle.

rebooting while still attached to the hub just seemed a pain since I don't have a lift or garage and would rather clean everything up right inside.

#4 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

I would do just the one complete axle. I don't bother with replacing just boots much. You'll probably be ok with just one if the other isn't making noise or anything. Usually the right inner boot goes bad from heat, being so close to the converter.

#5 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

Probably on the passenger side above the catalytic converter, right? Inner ones tend to go first. My right inner boot went at 6 yearts/90k miles and the driver's side inner boot went year later.

If you discovered the split before any serious contamination, I would replace the boots on both alxles and rotate them. These OEM NTN half shafts hold up pretty well.

#6 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

Yes, it is the passenger side inner one. I haven't crawled under the car yet to check the divers side one so I'm not sure how that one looks. As far as the joint itself I don't think that I'll risk it lasting. My daily commute this last year was through a lot of snow and ice not to mention the magcloride that they spray on the roads here so I'll proably go with the rebuilt axle.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users