Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greases compatibility: attn electric_monk

Originally posted by electryc_monk

I would suggest that you also think about this like lego's with grease involved. your just removing a few items to swap out a single piece, wiping the area clean or a good power wash at the DIY carwash before swapping will minimize the crap that might get into the grease of the hub's bearing areas and then add some more to them and a little in the seal for good measure.... .

HI Monk, maybe you can help me with something the other board could not help me with. I'm replacing my fornt axles in few days, will replace the inner bearing grease seal at the same time and want to add some grease to keep the seal's lips lubricated.

The problem seems to be greases compatibility

http://www.ieee-kc.org/library/craft/greasecompat.htm

Some greases can just liquefy if mixed together. Just want to know what grease to use to prevent that. I was planning in using synth grease...

Thanks in advance.

[yawns and reaches for morning Hot Tea w/honey]

Okay your asking a very direct question. I shall do my best to be as direct as possible.

that *site* lists these greases (my thoughts here):

Aluminum Complex = (isn't this the "anti-seaze" for bolts?)

(the following are not realized by my sleepy brain as yet.)

Barium

Calcium

Calcium 12 Hydroxy

Calcium Complex

Clay = (Drawing a blank on this based design)

(The following three I would think are more for the chain stuff in bikes and motorcycles and rollerskates and skateboards)

Lithium

Lithium 12 Hydroxy

Lithium Complex

(again I'm drawing a blank)

Polyurea

As for what *I* have used and still do ..... laymans terms follow:

Axel grease AKA General purpose grease AKA packing grease

This is the paper/aluminum fold wrapped tubs of grease the size of a small planters peanut tub. Usually close to $1.99 at auto parts stores. Or Moly-B-dum grease in similar sized tub's.

Okamiichibahn's Brat (used to be Zap's?) has hubs that are filled with a special sauce. Marine drive unit grease.

This stuff I'm very interested in using on the wagon when I convert to the 5 bolt setup and put new seals and halfshafts in the wagon.

So.... hopefully you have been answered as good as possible from my still awakening state. But, I'm sure the likes of the Bratpatrol, Chef_tim, Skipper, and the rest of the Wiseman (and women) would jump to finish this info-clarification your hoping for.

I'll admit that I didn't go google for backup as I need to get ready for a few things in my ownbackyad.... ya know what I mean?

Monk, thanks for the info and sorry to have pulled you from sleep faster than you would have liked...

I was'nt expecting such a detailed answer.

All I wanted to know is what kind of bearing grease would you add to the one already there with the least chance of catastrophic incompatibility? Would I be pushing my luck with synthetic grease?

mixing synthetic with petroleum *grease* i would think would be survivable and safe, as mixing oil's is fine in the crank case.

Its just that the oils being a significantly thinner and different refinement would show its weakness faster I would think.

As for grease blending - I'd think it would be safe and fine.

If you had one type and the bearings are *in* and you want to wait till "springtime" to then pull the hub and clean and fully repack with synthetic grease as a "better safe then sorry feeling". that would give "us all" plenty of time to chew the cud on the limitations of a grease - be it the dino varieties and the synthetics or the blends of them in one bottle/can.

Now if I was in your shoes would "I" use the synth?

Sure. I'd just do a few "neat freak" preping steps first.

using one clean cloth rag first, then paper towels and q-tips

the rap would be twisted up in a "rat-tail fashion" pulled thru the hub. Then wipe the excess greasefrom the outer areas and then Q-tip the inside ring of the seal. "Now I'm not talking clean enough to eat off of. Just so that its got a nice reasonable clean area to start close to fresh with the new stuffcaoting the whoe area nicely.

there does that sound to excessive to anyone?

Oh and while I was at it, the hub would slide right onto the halfshaft and then I'd put the wachers and castle nut back on it (finger tight) then sit the hub on its ball-joint as the DOJ slid onto the tranny output shaft....that way ou don't do what I have done several times before (in an attempt to short cut) - get dirt and crud onto the fresh layer of grease in the lip of the seal and bear area.

sooooo hows that work? anyone else see error in my follies?