Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should be done for 90K servicing for 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC?

We just picked up our 2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC and while we're at 85K, we might as well do the 90K servicing. Mechanic says we're good for now but that a few fluids are showing the dirt from all the mileage and could use replacement.

What should we make sure is done in the 90K servicing?

Should we use synthetic or regular oil?

Oil is up to you and your driving habits.

Is this a new car to you? If it is I would recomend PCV valve (once a year), Fuel Filter, Transmission flush, coolant flush (both are 3/36,000 miles items), a new radiator cap, and diff lube wouldnt hurt.

nipper

Oil is up to you and your driving habits.

Is this a new car to you? If it is I would recomend PCV valve (once a year), Fuel Filter, Transmission flush, coolant flush (both are 3/36,000 miles items), a new radiator cap, and diff lube wouldnt hurt.

nipper

The car was well maintained, but we just picked up the car about 6-7 weeks ago, so we'd like to the do the 90K service now, just to bring the car up to a fresh maintenance starting point.

From asking around I think we'll be better off in this area with conventional oil. Any specific recommendations for the 2003 H6 Outback?

The car was well maintained, but we just picked up the car about 6-7 weeks ago, so we'd like to the do the 90K service now, just to bring the car up to a fresh maintenance starting point.

From asking around I think we'll be better off in this area with conventional oil. Any specific recommendations for the 2003 H6 Outback?

The brand of oil isn't nearly as important as the brand of oil filter. Get a premium filter.

I use Castrol GTX with Wix or Napa gold or Bosch. Whichever is handy at the time.

Drain and fill the diffs. Drain and fill the trans. New sparkers all around.

The brand of oil isn't nearly as important as the brand of oil filter.
Coincidentally, Emily from CCR Engines posted the other day that the paraffin based oils shouldn't be used in H engines as they can pool and gum up the rings. Here's her post...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=757997&postcount=12

Note: A followup post cleared Pennzoil from the offending group as having less than 2% paraffin now, but I still don't care for the way it smells - sulfur.

I am in the same situation, I bought a 03 VDC wagon 2 months ago with 59K. They wanted 15K but got them down to 12.5K. I am going to my local Subaru dealer who for the 30/60/90 does all the routine inspections, changes the plugs (at 60K) PCV, trans flush with filter, both diff fluid replaced, coolant replaced with a new thermostat, brake flush, engine oil/filter, rotate tires, air filter, fuel filter. They do all that for $500 which seems reasonable.