Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help with ea82 ground

(This is a 1990 loyale)

There is a black wire with a yellow stripe that runs from the body (just in front of the battery) down to the metal water pipe (just under the a/c compressor), and I've got that one done...

But there should be another ground wire that attaches to the engine block somewhere further back. I know there was a bolt with a lock washer that secured the ground, but I can't recall exactly where the ground came from or where it attached to.

There is (what I'm guessing to be) a relay box mounted on the drivers side just behind the battery with a black wire coming from it. I figure that either goes to the battery or it's my missing ground.

Anyone know, or got a similar car who can take a look?

I am in the process as we type in yanking da lump on an 87. Came in to grab some BTUs.

1) Where the black with yellow is there is another black wire under the same nut on the water pipe bracket.

2) There is a fat black (main battery cable) under one of the starter bolts. This one runs with the red from the battery, doubt it is the one you are refering to.

3) There are a couple black wires going to the rad core support infront of the battery.

4) The black box you refer to is the fusible link box I believe, is it secured to the overflow bottle? They are all positive battery connections. One should run over to the alternater.

Hope that helps if not post back or email me, I'm going back out into the blizzard now. I'll check back in a bit.

Try to descibe where the wire comes from.

yeah it's attached to the coolant res, must be fusible link. There is a loom of wires coming from it that head off to the engine somewhere (working off the top of my head here) , and then one heavier gauge wire by itself...not like a battery cable but maybe 16 gauge. So if I understand you, that one should go the pos terminal.

That leaves another option. There was a long thin black wire (smaller gauge, 22 perhaps?) that I think came out of one of the big looms that emerge from the side of the body between the fusible link and the battery. That one I thought for sure went to the neg terminal but maybe that's my mystery ground

....or is that the one that attaches to the water pipe? Describe the other wire that attaches to that water pipe.

As for the wires attaching to the rad core support, I don't know what you're referring to so I'm guessing those aren't the wires I'm working with.

Hey thanks for looking though...wish it was snowing here :(

i've gotcha. i went and looked and here is how it goes:

black/yellow comes from just infront of the battery and goes to the water jacket or whatever. you know that. then fom there, that small guage black wire attatches also o th water jacket. i found mine connecting through some type of little, not quite harness, but wire plug type deal. i found it under the ignition coil and the fusible links. this is the wire you want to use. i just went and took a look not two minutes ago. best of luck. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Okay, lumps hangin from my backhoe bucket

printed your response and went to have a look

one heavier gauge wire by itself...not like a battery cable but maybe 16 gauge. So if I understand you, that one should go the pos terminal.

Yes a large maybe 12 AWG black wire runs from the fusable link box to the positive terminal of the bat.

(A larger maybe 10 AGW white wire goes from the fusable link box to the alt)

There was a long thin black wire (smaller gauge, 22 perhaps?) that I think came out of one of the big looms that emerge from the side of the body between the fusible link and the battery

This wire is as Doom says. It connects under the same bolt as the black and yellow and hits a single wire connector before it goes into the harness in the location you describe.

You can have all of this white chit - sorry for the delay - a whiteout hit had to get the hoe and lump in the shed

Hope this helps, hittin the showers for some real calorie injestion

ok cool, got those two wires figgered out...

that brings us back to my original question, isn't there another ground that attaches to the engine block further back. I have a lone bolt with a lock washer that I know was used for a ground on the block somewhere on the driver's side. Any chance my car was setup a little differently for whatever reason? I could've sworn there was only one wire attached to the water pipe before. Then again, whether these wires are attached to the water pipe or the block itself shouldn't make difference would it? I mean, a ground is a ground. I think those two wires were the only ones left unaccounted so that might do it. I'll take another look tonight.

Yes Teas, you are correct a ground, in this case, is a ground, your newer car could have been set up a bit differently.

Remember the Black 12 AWG wire from the fusible link box goes directly to the battery positive terminal.

Email me or post back if you find out anything tonight.

if its the negative battery cable, it connects to a bracket just in front of the starter, the bellhousing bolt threads in. big fat battery cable black wire

on the fuse link box, the balck wire goes to + battery, and the white one is from the alternator.

the a/c is the least of my worries on this beast, but I gotta another question...

If I'm on the right track here, there are 3 wires that go to the a/c, one is blue with a white connector that goes to a wire that emerges from the front of the compressor just behind the pulley.

The other two are red and green and share a round black connector...I can't find where this plugs in. I asked about this on an aussie forum and one guy described a plate that is bolted to the top of the compressor with a box on it that has the corresponding wires and connector that I need. However, my car doesn't have anything like this and I don't see any evidence that it ever did. I thought perhaps there was something different with the north american models? or am I just missing a big piece for my a/c?

ps - oops I didn't check my wiring last night...I know you guys are dying to know so I'll get on it :rolleyes:

Teas, you are missing the "Pulser assembly"

The AC control unit watches the revolutions of the compessor and will shut the system down if they do not agree with the engine RPM. Keeps the system from burning up a belt should the compressor lock up.

Any how here is a picture of what you are missing, note please the wire colors are red and green with a white stripe on my car.

Hope this helps.

Skipout

acpulserassm1.JPG

ok, hooked all the wires up (except for that a/c of course, grrrr!) and hooked up the battery....

just got a little spark as usual while connecting neg terminal...no giant fireballs or fuses shooting across the garage so I think I'm set. If I can scare up some fan belts this weekend I'll fire the beast up and see what happens. This is, however, my first attempt at an engine rebuild so I'd suggest you all stay out of the northern Colorado area this weekend for safety's sake.

hey and thank you for the help gentlemen