Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to source rebuilt engine

given reputation, it is highly recommended to stick with CCR. i wouldn't bother sourcing one from anyone else. no way, no how.

the only other rebuild option i'd consider is if i knew and trusted a very competent and local machine shop to have them do it for me.

have you thought about an engine swap? better technology, power, performance, reliability, parts....for probably less money?

Define new engine....

Does your's not run, and you are looking for a replacement? OR

Are you looking for something that you know has been professionally rebuilt, because you dont want to have to touch it for 50+ thousand miles?

My usual stop is the wrecking yard, after a cursory compression check and inspection, I proceed to re-seal the engine and throw new timing belts on it. Less costly, more labor-intensive. It's a toss-up.

You said EA81 OR 82... are you building something? If building something from 'scratch' so to speak, I second the possibility of a newer powerplant...

88RxTuner

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say, +1 on CCR being the best solution, with their warranty and reputation before them... just make sure you have a core for them.

Edited by 88RxTuner

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for an older subie wagon for a while. My first subie was an 84, I've owned an 82 and an 83, as well as prob a dozen gl/ loyale's. They're getting harder to find and the ones you do see have questionable motors or no motor at all. For the time/labor involved if I could find a clean old wagon/ hatch I'd just as soon get a crate motor and drop it in.

I had my local auto repair shop get me low-mileage Japanese crate engine. I live in a very small town and I've been doing business with the shop since '92 and trust them. I bought it in 2000 for my '86 Loyale. It has been a fantastic engine with no problems at all.

Just giving you another option to think about.