Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where to source rebuilt engine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattri

mattri

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • iowa, usa

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Where is a good, reputable place to get a rebuilt EA81 or EA82 longblock? I've seen CCR's site they look promising, good package, decent price. Anywhere else?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

given reputation, it is highly recommended to stick with CCR. i wouldn't bother sourcing one from anyone else. no way, no how.

the only other rebuild option i'd consider is if i knew and trusted a very competent and local machine shop to have them do it for me.

have you thought about an engine swap? better technology, power, performance, reliability, parts....for probably less money?

#3 88RxTuner

88RxTuner

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Back in my DESERT!! SoCal

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Define new engine....
Does your's not run, and you are looking for a replacement? OR
Are you looking for something that you know has been professionally rebuilt, because you dont want to have to touch it for 50+ thousand miles?

My usual stop is the wrecking yard, after a cursory compression check and inspection, I proceed to re-seal the engine and throw new timing belts on it. Less costly, more labor-intensive. It's a toss-up.

You said EA81 OR 82... are you building something? If building something from 'scratch' so to speak, I second the possibility of a newer powerplant...

88RxTuner

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say, +1 on CCR being the best solution, with their warranty and reputation before them... just make sure you have a core for them.

Edited by 88RxTuner, 30 January 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#4 mattri

mattri

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • iowa, usa

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking for an older subie wagon for a while. My first subie was an 84, I've owned an 82 and an 83, as well as prob a dozen gl/ loyale's. They're getting harder to find and the ones you do see have questionable motors or no motor at all. For the time/labor involved if I could find a clean old wagon/ hatch I'd just as soon get a crate motor and drop it in.

#5 Subarule

Subarule

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Southwest WA

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

I had my local auto repair shop get me low-mileage Japanese crate engine. I live in a very small town and I've been doing business with the shop since '92 and trust them. I bought it in 2000 for my '86 Loyale. It has been a fantastic engine with no problems at all.

Just giving you another option to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users