Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine transplant into the '85 Brat-update

Qman

Well, I got it back from the exhaust shop today.

Bad news first. He couldn't do the dual setup like I wanted. He couldn't match my specs or requirements.

Good news, he built a very nice well flowing system that seems to do it's job nicely.

Accelleration is dramatically improved. Power to 5K rpm's. Still need to fine tune it with the addition of 8mm wires and a regap and carb adjustments. All the same though it is a drastic improvement over stock. I took Rob for a ride and he thinks it'll be a good race between the Brat and his EA82T wagon.

I am going to make a few tweeks to the suspension and see how the handling is improved or not. I am going to install a T-wagon sway bar and new rear shocks.

Then I am going to do some experimentation with a torque block spacer for the carb. I'll expand on the results later.

I am really interested to know what you did for a cam. Did you have someone machine a new one for you, or did you have an old one ground? Do you happen to know what you used for specs? I would really like to put a cam in my 1800, but its so nice to hear from other people that have already done it, and what they have found works best. Thanks, Kurt