Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heating issue, EA81

So I'm having an issue... Its 25 to 35 degrees C (around 85F) in Australia atm and I can't get my car hot enough to even work the heater properly. So I'm worried about winter.. I fixed the thermostat problem, and now its working 100% correctly. My gauge is right, and my thermo fan switch cuts in at the right time too. Its just to get it hot enough I can to go rally bashing at 5000+ RPM for more then a few minutes. Normal driving and it only just comes off the bottom of the gauge. I left it sitting idle the other day in the sun for about 10minutes and when I hopped in the gauge was half way between the bottom and the thermostat opening temp.. I'm confused. :confused:

So I've done some checks. I put another gauge on, and it reads wrong lol. I took it for an extremely hard drive to find the point on both gauges that the thermo fans come on. On the original gauge the fans come on when it reaches that top red line I've drawn onto the attached picture. The other red line is the normal running temp I get while driving at 60 to 100 kph. On my other, aftermarket, gauge the fans come on at about 255F (just off the scale).

So I took the rad cap off and sat a very good thermometer in the top of the radiator. Started the car and revved it at 3500rpm until the temp on the after market gauge got to 230F, just at that point when I let off about 2L of water poured out of the radiator. The thermometer in the top of the radiator read 97degrees (its an Celsius one). So we filled the radiator up slowly and again let it warm up just at idle this time. It got to 100degrees and boiled over slowly again, still no fans. So obviously the fans turn on at a higher temperature.

I looked in the full service manual and it says the thermostat should open at 88C, mines a 180F which is 82.2C. And the thermoswitch should kick in between 92 and 100C. So the Fans should of come on, but they didn't. So I'm getting a new thermo switch.

I'm hoping that after I flush the system. Get a new thermoswitch and put coolent in it. It will turn the fans on more often (like actually use them in traffic and at idle) and the heater will work. I'll just have to live with one gauge saying its boiling continually and another barely coming off the bottom..

We'll see

post-9242-136027631871_thumb.jpg