Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front Camber Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

On my 85 wagon with a 2-3 inch lift, my front tires have camber issues. I have the angled lift blocks on front, which helps, but is not enough. Also, the passenger side is more angled than the driver side, and i have no idea why. I bought the tires in August and they are already bald on the outside.

GAHHHH :horse:

What would be an effective way to correct the camber that an amateur high school mechanic would be able to do?

Thanks!
John

Pic:Posted Image

Edited by Markus56, 08 April 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#2 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

are you sure the blocks are in the right oreintation, 15 degree off set ? that much lift shouldnt cause a massive amount of camber

#3 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Yes, it was cut to 15 degrees. Maybe if I made another lift with more angle?

#4 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

I have heard of people lengthening the control arms, if you have access to a metal saw and a welder

#5 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

that looks like a lot of angle on the axles. No crossmember blocks?
Won't this kill the axles kinda like it killed your tires?

#6 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

haven't heard of cross member blocks...

what are they and what does it take to make them?

#7 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

haven't heard of cross member blocks...

what are they and what does it take to make them?

You have a suspension lift, so everything is lifted 2 inches. That's why the extreme angle of the axle, and bad camber. Cross member blocks simply lower the engine and transmission by whatever size that you use, therefore correcting camber. Maybe you can fab up some blocks, using the same 2" tubing as on your struts, or 1" to stay 1" over stock for better clearance. That said, it should be well designed and strong to hold that kind of weight. Are your strut adjusters all the way down?

#8 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 792 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

No, they aren't, because otherwise the car is noticeably angled downward in the front. I only have adjusters in the front so i wouldn't be able to drop the rear any without having to completely redo the rear lift.

I know that one eye is running a 2 inch lift with the adjusters extended on his wheeler wagon without crossmember blocks and is doing fine.

Edited by Markus56, 10 April 2009 - 12:09 AM.

#9 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

John,

It looks to me like you have both a caster, and camber issue. Make sure that the blocks you cut are at 15*, and that the top of your strut is position DIRECTLY inboard (towards the engine) from stock. Any positioning towards the front or back will create problems. I've seen a few people install the rear out-board block of the front lift backwards, and it creates MASSIVE caster/camber problems. If the top of the strut is positioned any other way than directly inboard from stock; something in your lift is incorrect. If you can get some detailed pictures it would help diagnosing your problems. Other than that; the 15* degree 2" lift has worked well on all of the vehicles that I have seen with them. You don't really need ANY crossmember blocks with this design of lift, that is kinda the whole point of it. It's not the perfect lift, but, it is great for it's simplicity. Especially on a wheeler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users