Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 forester transmission codes

I have a friend with a 98 forrester and his trans light is blinking constantly. I looked under the dash to find the diagnostic connector, but I don't see it. Does anyone know how to pull the codes on the forrester?

Thanks

he took it to advance auto and they said that the obd11 scanner read Passed. that cannot be, he has a flashing at temp light and ABS light. We know for sure that he has torque bind and that the duty solenoid is probably bad. The previous owner took the bulbs out of the dash so he could sell it to someone with out any questions about the tranny.

Nice Huh?

Well, he got a decent car, even if we have to do some extra work on it.

We did the HG's two weeks ago and the engine runs like a top. Once we got it running we realized it had torque bind and I took off the tail section and we resurfaced the drum. Unfortunately we didn't realize that the AT temp light wasn't working and the torque bind stayed. Now I am realizing that the duty solenoid is probably bad as well. We have one on order along with a new clutch pack, but I'd like to replace any other bad solenoids while we are in there. That is why we are trying to find out what the codes are. If need be I have a good tranny body that we can swap his tail section on to and we can throw that into the car. I just don't relish the idea of dropping the tranny right now as I don't have access to a lift.

We'll see how it goes.

I did find out that if you run with torque bind too long you will tear the drum right off the shaft. One of the cars that I just fixed had a supposed bad duty c solenoid and when I got in ther to fix it I found the drum ripped off the shaft. It was obvious that it had been in TB for a long time.