Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Progress on my 84 Brat today...

Well today, I finally got around to pulling the front grill, drivers side headlight beezle, and fender off so I could fix the bumper mount with a 2x4 and a 20 pound sledge hammer. Well after having no luck getting it to budge, the hammer kept bouncing off of it, I realised the whole mount is held in place by the 3 same bolts that holds the toe hook inplace, thoes 3 bolts go through the body framing sheet metel, the hook, and the bumper mount... ! So, tomarrow on my agenda, is to grab the bumper mounts off of randomizers parts car, along with the hood hinges (yes he knows I'm taking these parts) and swaping them into my brat... hopefully by the end of all this, IT will actually be fully assembled, finally.

Also descovered I have a huge vacume leak someware behind the intake manofold... don't know where exactly yet.. but it's there, I can hear it real well, wich explains the hesitation on the throttle up now. So it'll all be done and working greatly in just a few days ready to be licensed hopefully, Cool huh?:brow: Check out my photo album on page 4 of the ultimate subaru photo archive!

Edit: If anyone knows about the entire vacume systems and whats suposed to hook up to the air filter and what not, please help! I want to know whats important, and whats not, without canobolizing the car so badily that it doesn't pass emissions. Thanks for any advice!

Vacuum routing is very specific to model and year - if you want to get it right, I'm afraid you'll have to find an FSM for that. Mostly you can rip out everything - just make sure you don't have to have an under-hood inspection. Even the AIS can be removed or blocked off. I was just at the emmisions place - without the AIS, cruise HC's were 150 - with it, they were 80. 220 is allowed, and my engine has 130k on it - so I can remove them and still pass.

GD

yeah no, from what I hear they don't do hood checks, as long as it passes they don't care in Washington. Ummm well it's an 84 brat, but the engine is an 86 hydroluc ea81 and who knows where the intake came from, it has a carter-webber on it. I'm sure would work great, if it didn't have the vacume leak, lol, but yeah I'm gonna start stripping unknown emissions stuff off, Austin wants to help take care of the problem by removing everything that "isn't needed" I just didn't feel like removing things until it worked quite yet. Anyway thanks.