Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sluggish..? no acceleration...?? answer...

And just so we're completely clear on this- What makes you think their procedures cover only the SPFI Loyale and they didn't just throw in the info for the MPFI Legacy?

Well it does say "Loyale" at the top of the section he pasted on here. Much of the data does in fact mirror the FSM for the Loyale. The fuel pressure for example is exactly correct - which it wouldn't be for the EJ22 - the EJ's MPFI system runs higher pressure than 20 to 24 psi. I concluded that being the outright say the info is for a Loyale and it is *most* correct for the SPFI system given the metrics they claim.... it's a mistake at the most generous.

I have never liked aftermarket repair resources, I always go with a site like this or an FSM if one is available. Very rarely have I seen a third-party manual that had in depth info. Usually they basically take 500pages to say if you need this book, take it to a shop.

I agree - they do tell you that often in the aftermarket manual's. I am more often dissapointed by them than not.

GD

I went to the suggested site but for some reason my computer does not want to cooperate with me today! I can't seem to be able to read the pdf file! I have ADOBE READER. I don't get what is going on with it!? computers is definately not my thing. I know this much about the D-CHECK...

Is there something more that I can do to run the "D-check"?

The D-Check is an entire procedure - including driving the car while it is in this mode so the ECU can check all it's systems.

What you are using is refered to as U-Check and that's just reading the *simple* codes that the ECU already knows about. The 7 flashes is your model code - it means nothing.

It's quite a bit of information - I sugest you get your PDF viewer working or maybe print it from the library so you have the whole thing to reference.

GD

The D-Check is an entire procedure -

It's quite a bit of information - I sugest you get your PDF viewer working or maybe print it from the library so you have the whole thing to reference.

GD

The great thing about the auto repair business is that one may never know all; there is always more to learn.

did a compression check tonight. it revealed that the #2 cyl was only at 100 psi. The other three are at 150-170psi Then I added a few drops of oil, and the compression of the # 2 cyl increased up to 130 then a few more drops of oil and up to 170 psi it went. This test result tells me that the rings are bad. So is it impossible to do a ring job with the engine still in the car?

One cylinder that's a bit low isn't going to cause severe running problems such as you indicate. My EA81 hatch has one low cylinder - about the same numbers you gave. Other than a tiny bit of rough idle it runs just fine. Plenty of power too - although I did swap a Weber carb on it. I could easily install the SPFI and it would run just as well.

GD

One cylinder that's a bit low isn't going to cause severe running problems such as you indicate. My EA81 hatch has one low cylinder - about the same numbers you gave. Other than a tiny bit of rough idle it runs just fine. Plenty of power too - although I did swap a Weber carb on it. I could easily install the SPFI and it would run just as well.

GD

I dunno, something is going on with the car.

• 6 years later...