Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very low "rumbly noise" only when nearing a complete stop; also, check engine...

Greetings,

I've searched around quite a bit and not found anything exactly like what I'm experiencing with my 94 (auto) 4cyl. legacy wagon (2 separate queries actually...):

1) I've recently noticed, that no matter what speed I might be going, I hear what I could best describe as a deeper sort of rumbling noise, and only from between around 5mph down through to Omph during a stop; nothing when I speed up from a stop, and nothing if I brake hard, briefly, as in entering/exiting the flow of highway traffic for example. With near certainty, this is coming from the rear of the car, though sounds can be deceptive inside of a car...

2) I will preface this next one with a promise to buy my own diagnostics device when I have the extra dough (for the moment, I am a grad student in NYC begging for work alongside a whole lot of unemployed individuals...)-- I figure that the precursor to my CHECK ENGINE (CE) coming on, and the conditions that make it come on, might help isolate the cause:

A couple months ago, CE started showing up only after 10 minutes or so of driving. When I did an oil change, I noticed a pinhole leak in radiator hose, and some dry-rot starting in the belts, so I put in some new belts/hoses as well. The light still comes on only after warm up, but I suspect a temp gage somewhere maybe to blame-- on warmer days if parked in the sun, CE will occasionally be lit up right off the bat; as there have been no sunny days lately, its back to coming on only after 10 minutes of driving (and only once the car is turned off and back on again i.e. its never come on while driving)...

Any thoughts or wisdom from you pro's/folks who might have encountered anything similar will be incredibly and thoroughly appreciated!

Edited by jaredb3000
Apologies- Realized I should have posted to "newer gen."-cant find a switch forum option

First, being you are new here you should know that the appropriate place for your model is actually the "New Generation" forum.

Also, no diagnostic equipment is needed for your model. You simply connect the male/female diagnostic plugs under your dash together and the CEL will flash you the codes.

From your description it's probably either a knock senor, evap purge solenoid or the O2 sensor going out. All of those are not uncommon and relatively inexpensive.

GD