Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good morning to all,

I love this site, but I have a question regarding the search function....I am getting ready to pull the engine on my 97 OB, EJ25, 157,000miles to do the headgaskets, BUT I am trying to determine if I have a rod knock issue. I have been searching for "rod knock" and I am not finding the specific info that I am looking for. I know that it has been discussed in detail.......I am probably just missing something simple........any help on using the search function would be greatly appreciated......

Good morning to all,

I love this site, but I have a question regarding the search function....I am getting ready to pull the engine on my 97 OB, EJ25, 157,000miles to do the headgaskets, BUT I am trying to determine if I have a rod knock issue. I have been searching for "rod knock" and I am not finding the specific info that I am looking for. I know that it has been discussed in detail.......I am probably just missing something simple........any help on using the search function would be greatly appreciated......

automatic or 5 spd.??

the search function isn't as good as some others but ....

what kind of sound is your engine making??

Edited by johnceggleston

piston slap is another "knocking" type sound, you'll want to determine which it is for sure since rod knock is terminal and piston slap is benign.

use the advanced search function and search for "knock" in titles only New Generation. "rod" won't do you any good since the search function doesn't work with 3 letter words:rolleyes:. although *rod or rod* may help since the asterisk can work as a place holder.

Thanks for the replies..............

The sound is a "knock" at idle.............increases with rpm and then quiets down at about 2200 rpm. It doesn't sound like premature detonation it is a more "soild" sound. This is very hard to describe!!!!

Car is an automatic

I really want to figure this out before I yank the engine for the HGs.

Please give me some more troubleshooting advice!!!!!!

Okay, I've been away from the computer for a while, but I really need to figure out if I have piston slap or rod knock before I pull this engine for HGs..

The noise is more of a "clack" then a "knock" and when the engine warms up it quiets down a lot.............if the fans are running you can't hear it at all.

So, should I start pulling the engine for the HGs????

Thanks in advance for the help...........you guys are a very friendly forum compared to most!!!!

The noise is more of a "clack" then a "knock" and when the engine warms up it quiets down a lot...........
that is very typical of piston slap, goes away as it warms up. but there's still no way to tell. i'm not famiilar with rod knock enough to know whether it can do the same thing or not. without hearing it there's now way to tell for sure. it's a subtle difference, so i don't think words are going to finalize this. you need someone to hear it.

go listen to a couple other EJ25 subaru's shouldnt' take too long to find one with piston slap!!!!!