Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent bubbles in coolant overflow tank

1999 Legacy Brighton Wagon, auto 2.2 L engine : The head gaskets were done about 10,000 km/ 2 years ago, by a Subaru mechanic at his own private shop. I can only assume it was done right as the car has run fine since, and the temp gauge always reads just below the half-way mark (as normal). After a 200 mile trip last week, I parked in the driveway and left the car running , opened the hood and checked the overflow tank for bubbles (as I always do since prior head gasket problem) and see small bubbles rising to the top of the coolant in the overflow tank. :eek: It was about 24C/75F out. After the car cooled down I can see no evidence that the coolant level in the overflow tank is down at all. The next day I take the car into town to do a couple of errands. 25miles into the first town at 80km/hr,stop for a minute check coolant tank with engine running-no bubbles, then drive through town, connect with highway and drive for 12 minutes @ 110km/hr, do the same check-no bubbles. Temp gauge is always normal.

I'm trying to diagnose the problem before I have to go in and pay for a head gasket repair. There seems to be no leaking of coolant under the engine as far as I can tell, but I don't have a hoist.

I grabbed the top rad hose and gave it a squeeze, listening for the sloshing sound of coolant in the engine that I heard before when the head gasket was going last time- no sound and the pressure seemed good. Then I gave it a hard squeeze so that I forced the coolant past the rad cap and into the coolant overflow tank-I saw a few bubbles,probably in the overflow hose and then the coolant flowed into the tank. Then I let off the pressure on the top rad hose and heard a chirping sound as if air was being sucked into the coolant at the rad cap as the coolant was sucked back into the rad.

So I logged on here,did a search for "bubbles" and found a suggestion that it may be the coolant overflow hose that has a leak in it. I went back to the car and took the rad cap off, slowly squeezed the upper rad hose to bring the coolant level with where the rad cap attaches and firmly placed my palm on it to create a seal. Then I gave the upper rad hose a good squeeze. The coolant flowed into the overflow tank easily and when I release pressure on the upper rad hose, the coolant sucks back into the rad with no problem and no sound.

Could it be that when the engine warms and the coolant expands into the overflow tank and then later cools, it draws air into the rad through the rad cap, which then bubbles into the overflow tank the next time it warms up and expands? Any suggestions on what else to check? Thanks.

I bought it used. I took it to Subaru dealer for a total inspection before I bought it. It passed with flying colours. The mechanics were impressed with it. I researched it for a year on this and other boards before I decided on the model. Just my luck I guess. I'll get a replacement cap for it tomorrow. Should I get a Subaru cap; is it necessary? I love the car but geez they're expensive to maintain.

Edited by 1Subaru1
forgot to ask question

I called the dealer and they did not have a rad cap for my car in stock ($18.99 and a 4 day wait) so I had to get a cap at CTC for $8., installed it and then I drove it around most of the day yesterday, with some highway and in town driving, stopping along the way 5 or 6 times to check - no bubbles yet. I still have to check the level after it has cooled down to see where it's at, wish me luck.